Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matthias Barmeier <ba...@BARMEIER.COM> on 2000/07/26 11:00:10 UTC

Newbie questions please help !!

Hi,

I am new to java and tomcat.
After my Setup (IIS, NT4, Tomcat 3.1) is up everything seems to run stable I
have some questions.

1.) When I put a newer version of a class file in WEB-INF/classes I always
get the console message
	"Reload !!!" and the jsp that uses this bean crashes with a
ClassCastException.

2.) I have added a WEB-INF/src directory but when I put my java files there
tomcat does not compile them.
	Is this the right behaviour ?

3.) When I try to use the Vector class in my beans tomcat crahses.
	Is the Vector class disallowed when using beans ?

Thanx in ad

	Matthias Barmeier

RE: Newbie questions please help !!

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
Hi Matthias,

First off, I suggest upgrading to the latest beta of Tomcat (3.2 I believe).
Then come back and ask questions ;)

> 2.) I have added a WEB-INF/src directory but when I put my java
> files there
> tomcat does not compile them.
> 	Is this the right behaviour ?

...and you'll want to check out this doc that gives you the nitty gritty on
exactly that kind of thing (WEB-INF, etc.):

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/appdev/

> 3.) When I try to use the Vector class in my beans tomcat crahses.
> 	Is the Vector class disallowed when using beans ?

Nope, but you may want to include some info from the crash (stack trace from
$TOMCAT_HOME/tomcat.log for instance) so we can better assist you.

Good luck!

- rrrob