Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by prt <sh...@pelephone.co.il> on 2007/07/09 14:26:54 UTC

Advice about Tomcat on x86_64 architecture..

Hi to all,
I have Dell PE 2950 with tow Intel xeon dual core 5130 processors.
I use this server to run website.
I have three tomcat work in balance in mod_jk, and one Apache in front on
port 80.

The JVM and the tomcat that i have on the server are 32 bit architecture.

My question is,
Is it good to do so or will be better to install 64 bit architecture JVM and
compile tomcat
on the server ?

Thank you all for help and sorry about my English.

RE: Advice about Tomcat on x86_64 architecture..

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
> Subject: RE: Advice about Tomcat on x86_64 architecture..
>
> > From: prt [mailto:shaharsa@pelephone.co.il]
> > Subject: Re: Advice about Tomcat on x86_64 architecture..
> >
> > Are you sure about that is no need to compile the Tomcat on 64 Bit ?
>
> Definitely.

One caveat:  there is an optional connector (APR) that does use native
code, and it does have to be compiled for each target platform.  Unless
you're worried about ultimate performance, it's not needed.  The rest of
Tomcat is pure Java, including all the standard connectors.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: Advice about Tomcat on x86_64 architecture..

Posted by "Swapnil.Kale" <sw...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot :) It helped a lot. All the problems are gone now.
Thanks again!
Swapnil

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.

Posted by "Swapnil.Kale" <sw...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a ton Peter,
The picture is pretty clear now.

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Advice about Tomcat on x86_64 architecture..

Posted by "Swapnil.Kale" <sw...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I'm not sure about my thoughts here.
Please correct if my understanding is wrong.

I tried installing tomcat 32 bit on a 64 bit JVM but it didnt work.

I tried following on the mini how to install tomcat on 64 bit OS but didnt
succeed.

What i found on internet is we need 64 bit executable for tomcat to run to
64 bit jvm and 64 bit OS <offcourse>

Few Questions :
1) Can i host 32 bit compiled war file on 64 bit Tomcat / JVM ? <If my
tomcat installation succeeds>
2) What if i recompile the war on 64 bit jvm and host it on 64 bit Tomcat?
I've read that the size of the primitive datatypes in 64 bit is different,
so if i use Java web start and launch the application from remote machine
<32 bit> using JNLP, will it work on that 32 bit machine? having 64 bit
machine compiled jars?

If I host the 32 bit compiled war on 64 bit Tomcat / 64 bit JVM,
What am i gonna miss/gain? except the lot of heap memory

The picture is still not clear, Can you throw some light on this?

help appreciated.

Swapnil

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by prt <sh...@pelephone.co.il>.
Hi Christopher,

Sorry about the double post.
Thank you very much for your help, you very kind.

I installed JVM 64-bit Server, so now the tomcat's work with the JVM.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Titi Wangsa [mailto:blacksnow666@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Advice about Tomcat on x86_64 architecture..
>
> correct me if i'm mistaken, but i've read that
> the more memory you allocate for you Heap, the
> less thread you have,

That's somewhat true with a 32-bit OS, but even then you can still get
hundreds of threads with the maximum heap (~ 1.5 - 1.8 GB).  On 64-bit
systems, each process space is so large that there's no significant
interaction.

How many threads are you talking about and why do you think you need so
many?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Advice about Tomcat on x86_64 architecture..

Posted by Titi Wangsa <bl...@gmail.com>.
we have 3 instances on the same hardware
we did this due to a memory/thread constraint
correct me if i'm mistaken, but i've read that
the more memory you allocate for you Heap, the less thread you have,
we want a lot of memory
and a lot of threads
so we opted to do 3 instances on the same hardware

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Advice about Tomcat on x86_64 architecture..

Posted by prt <sh...@pelephone.co.il>.
Thank you all for your help,

The second reason to use more than on tomcat is so i can stop one and the
others still work.
I compiled the mod_jk module on the server.

In catalina.sh i set JAVA_OPTS to "-server -Xms1g -Xmx1g -Xincgc"

I did test for maximum thread by run jsp with this code,
####################################
<%
try {
  while(true){
      new TestThread().start();
  }
}
catch ( OutOfMemoryError e ) {System.out.println("Maximum threads = " +
TestThread.CREATE_COUNT);}
%>

<%!
public static class TestThread extends Thread {
  private static int CREATE_COUNT = 0;

  public TestThread() {
    CREATE_COUNT++;
  }