Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Anwar Durrani <du...@gmail.com> on 2023/02/17 13:49:58 UTC

Python-subversion not found on Ubuntu-22.04

Hi Team,

I would like to take a few minutes, I am working to set up the
subversion server and  viewvc on Ubuntu 22.04, as per instructions
everything is just fine working correctly but when I make a change in its
/usr/local/viewvc/viewvc.conf and set svn_root= auto-backup: /svn/svn
and then restart apache and check the URL in the browser
https://<URL>/viewvc, it encountered following error
An Exception Has Occurred Python Traceback

ImportError: No module named svn.core

I have been working to fix this issue for a long time and came across from
a few blogs that I need to have a python-subversion package to be
installed. i have searched everywhere but i could not find this package,
Your help would be highly appreciated.

--
Thanks & regards,
Anwar M. Durrani

Re: Python-subversion not found on Ubuntu-22.04

Posted by Yasuhito FUTATSUKI <fu...@yf.bsdclub.org>.
Hello,

First of all, please don't send messages not related to commits on
Subversion project to commits@subversion.apache.org, please choose
appropriate mailing lists for questions.

On 2023/02/17 22:49, Anwar Durrani wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I would like to take a few minutes, I am working to set up the
> subversion server and  viewvc on Ubuntu 22.04, as per instructions
> everything is just fine working correctly but when I make a change in its
> /usr/local/viewvc/viewvc.conf and set svn_root= auto-backup: /svn/svn
> and then restart apache and check the URL in the browser
> https://<URL>/viewvc, it encountered following error
> An Exception Has Occurred Python Traceback
>
> ImportError: No module named svn.core

What does "instructions" point to?  How do you install and set up
the Subversion server? What is the version of it?
How do you install ViewVC and what version it is?

> I have been working to fix this issue for a long time and came across from
> a few blogs that I need to have a python-subversion package to be
> installed. i have searched everywhere but i could not find this package,
> Your help would be highly appreciated.

To serve Subversion repositories by using ViewVC, you need
Subversion SWIG Python bindings corresponding to the version
of Subversion and to the verson of Python.

As far as I know, ViewVC cannot run on Ubuntu 22.04 only with
packages officially provided. It seems there is no ViewVC package
available for Ubuntu 22.04, because the ViewCVS project have not
released ViewVC which support Python 3.X yet, and the ViewVC
package maintainer on Debian wasn't interested in 1.3-dev version
of ViewVC.

See also:
https://github.com/viewvc/viewvc/issues/310

Cheers,