Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by "Albert Law (Logik)" <al...@logik.com> on 2011/10/03 16:42:46 UTC

Newb: IDE + Maven?

Hi All,

I'm a Tika newb but I have some format expertise with RTF, PDF, DOC,
PPT, XLS, OOXML, blah blah blah.  I want to contribute to Tika.

Unfortunately, I'm finding this Maven thing hard to use in conjunction
with Eclipse and m2e.  I can do everything from command-line, but I
want to do it in an IDE so I can debug more easily.

The following is what I'm experiencing.

1) In Eclipse, File -> Import

2) Maven -> Check out Maven Projects from SCM

3) svn : http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tika/tags/0.10/

4) Change "0.10-SNAPSHOT" to "0.10" in "./tika-bundle-it/pom.xml" on line 25.

5) Maven Problems
org.ops4j.pax.exam:maven-paxexam-plugin:1.2.2:generate-config
(execution: default, phase: generate-resources)
Resource: pom.xml
Location: line 87
Type: Maven Project Build Lifecycle Mapping Problem

I looked up the problem and came up with this link:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_plugin_execution_not_covered

However, I don't understand what is actually going wrong nor how to
fix it.  Could anyone give me a hand?

Thanks.

--
Albert

Re: Newb: IDE + Maven?

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.
Hi Albert,

For me, running mvn eclipse:clean eclipse:eclipse from the top directory results in Eclipse projects that I can import & use for development.

-- Ken

On Oct 3, 2011, at 7:42am, Albert Law (Logik) wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm a Tika newb but I have some format expertise with RTF, PDF, DOC,
> PPT, XLS, OOXML, blah blah blah.  I want to contribute to Tika.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm finding this Maven thing hard to use in conjunction
> with Eclipse and m2e.  I can do everything from command-line, but I
> want to do it in an IDE so I can debug more easily.
>
> The following is what I'm experiencing.
>
> 1) In Eclipse, File -> Import
>
> 2) Maven -> Check out Maven Projects from SCM
>
> 3) svn : http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tika/tags/0.10/
>
> 4) Change "0.10-SNAPSHOT" to "0.10" in "./tika-bundle-it/pom.xml" on line 25.
>
> 5) Maven Problems
> org.ops4j.pax.exam:maven-paxexam-plugin:1.2.2:generate-config
> (execution: default, phase: generate-resources)
> Resource: pom.xml
> Location: line 87
> Type: Maven Project Build Lifecycle Mapping Problem
>
> I looked up the problem and came up with this link:
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_plugin_execution_not_covered
>
> However, I don't understand what is actually going wrong nor how to
> fix it.  Could anyone give me a hand?
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Albert

--------------------------
Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://bixolabs.com
custom big data solutions & training
Hadoop, Cascading, Mahout & Solr

Re: Newb: IDE + Maven?

Posted by "Albert Law (Logik)" <al...@logik.com>.
Hi Jukka,

At first, I was hesitating to remove the IT tests.  But then I
realised that "tika-bundle-it" does almost nothing (i.e.
"BundleTest.java" just tests a text and a PDF file).

So I've taken your advise and deleted it from my Eclipse workspace.

Everything is working fine now.  Thanks!

p.s.: I am indeed using Eclipse Indigo and the latest m2e.

--

Sincerely,
Albert Law

Re: Newb: IDE + Maven?

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Newb: IDE + Maven?

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Mon, 3 Oct 2011, Albert Law (Logik) wrote:
> Unfortunately, I'm finding this Maven thing hard to use in conjunction
> with Eclipse and m2e.  I can do everything from command-line, but I want
> to do it in an IDE so I can debug more easily.

What I tend to do is build the project with maven on the command line,
then unpack the tika-bundle jar.

Then, I add a regular (non maven) project to eclipse, and add the jars
from the bundle as dependencies by hand. It's fiddly to do, but it doesn't
require me to win the battle with the maven eclipse project...

Nick