Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2005/08/02 15:19:39 UTC

Re: Corrupting error log buffer?

At 12:52 PM 7/25/2005, André Malo wrote:
>* Akins, Brian wrote:
>
>> [Mon Jul 25 13:15:28 2005] [error] [client 85.140.27.54]
>> url_cache_handler: may serve STALE content: 0: /toon/tools/img/jewel.jpg,
>> referer:
>> http://schedule.cartoonnetwork.com/servlet/ScheduleServlet?action=show&sh
>>owI D=320361&show=Justice%20League&filter=tm
>>
>> But, I am not logging from "referer" on.  That shouldn't be there.
>
>It's added automatically by the error logging code, if it can be determined.

I brought this up before (logging referrer controls the access, not
the error log).  A possible solution was proposed to allow some sort
of formatting for error log 'annotation'.  This was a one-off request
to the old bug tracking system that was based on the common "how did
we land here?  who sent them to this URL?" question.  But there are
plenty of places that this change to Apache 1.3 and later is nothing
but alot of extra noise.

Bill