Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2006/05/02 22:53:07 UTC

Cross language interop

I spent a little time getting familiar with PHP/SDO and had some more
thoughts about cross language interop testing. For SDO the most basic test
is to read and write an XML file from PHP/JAVA/C++ and compare the results.
We could develop this to test other functions such as creating, updating and
deleting content and again comparing the content from the different
implementations. Assuming we start with the same input we would expect the
outputs to be compatible.

Is there an XML file somewhere that contains the full set of supported types
and type constructs?

Where relational DASs are implemented Similar tests could be carried out
with relational data ensuring that type conversions are performed accurately
and consistently across implementations by reading out of a database and
printing out the data for comparison or by inserting back into a database
for comparison.

We could also look at how consistently the implementations convert from one
DAS type to another but I guess this is not strictly an interoperability
issue.

Is there an intention that SDO change histories will be shared? If so this
is something else that you could expect to be transferred across language
boundaries and hence we should think about how to test this.

Once the work is done to have C++ support Axis2 we should do some SCA
interop testing also. In the near term we could do some basic testing based
on SDO/axiom conversions if it's thought that to be worth it.

I'm happy to spend time setting up tests if we can agree which ones are
required.

Thoughts

Regards

Simon

Re: Cross language interop

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
I note that the poster talks about attaching and example that "someone else
wrote and was slightly modified by me". I'm concerned that we don't know who
owns this example. Lets talk separately and see if we can find out from Ed
Merks where he got this from. Also based on Ed Slatterys post we may need to
construct our own to take into account the spec compliance offered by the

Re: Cross language interop

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
So are you thinking about a specific services interface for an SDO object,
i.e. the SDO acts as a conduit between the data resource and the client
(browser)? In this scenario what happens when data is changed. Does the SDO
cache the change awaiting the request to update the data resource or does it
pass the update directly through to the data resource. There are a number of
examples of web services type implementations of access to relational and
file data. Would you propose that we adopt and exisitng interface
description or construct a service interface that wraps the SDO interface as
currently specified?

Regards

Simon

Re: Cross language interop

Posted by Edward Slattery <ed...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Cross language interop

Posted by Kevin Williams <ke...@qwest.net>.
I was actually thinking that the remote engine would deserialize the
graph and make changes using the SDO APIs.  The graph (and change
history) would be re-serialized and shipped back to the originating DAS.
Thanks,
--Kevin

Re: Cross language interop

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Kevin

Re: Cross language interop

Posted by Kevin Williams <ke...@qwest.net>.
[snip]

Re: Cross language interop

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Ok, thanks for the feedback Frank. I'll speak to the spec team and, if they
don't have anything, I'll generate a schema based on the SDO spec mappings.

Regards

Simon

Re: Cross language interop

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Ed,

Thats a very good point. We need some form of higher level view of what the
different implementations offer in terms of spec compliance and tests to
demonstrate this compliance. Interoperability against this stated behaviour
is, as you say, the sensible objective. Have any kind of functional matices
been extracted from the specs by the project or spec team so that we can
document compliance levels for each implementation? If not we could make one
and try and get a current picture of where we are against the specs as they
stand. This would also be useful as I expect the specs will continue to
evolve and tracking progress against these changes could be difficult.
Having this resource then makes it much easier to do a propoer job of the
interoperability testing.

Regards

Simon

Re: Cross language interop

Posted by Edward Slattery <ed...@googlemail.com>.
On the subject of interop, what are we going to do about some form of
compliance suite? We will need to define the range of interop expected,
because I guess both Java and C++ implementations interpret things which are
not covered by the spec. I am quite sure we do this in different ways.
I think it would only be sensible to test interop within the specified
behaviour,  and highlight as we go along where the specification is open to

Re: Cross language interop

Posted by Frank Budinsky <fr...@ca.ibm.com>.

Re: Cross language interop

Posted by Edward Slattery <ed...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Cross language interop

Posted by Frank Budinsky <fr...@ca.ibm.com>.
"kelvin goodson" <ke...@gmail.com> wrote on 05/03/2006 05:16:24
AM:

> There's a pair of files called "Primer.xsd" and "PrimerSample.xml" which
> have used in the past which come from Eclipse EMF and
> is as comprehensive in its coverage of schema as I have ever needed. I'm
I think Primer.xsd is certainly a comprehensive Schema support test, but
for that reason, I think it may be overly aggressive to expect all of our
SDO impls (especially the ones that aren't leveraging EMFs full schema
support, under the covers) will be able to handle it. We could try, just
to see, but I think it would be better to try to put together a simpler
example that just handles all the standard SDO (as opposed to XML schema)
types. I don't know of any such example exists - could ask the spec team
just in case - but I think someone will need to put one together.

> not sure how we stand on being able to distribute these as part of the
test
> suite in Tuscany.  A quick google shows the files available from the
article

http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/article.php?id=3666&group=eclipse.tools.emf
> as attachments
> http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/attachment.php?group=eclipse.
> tools.emf&id=3666&attachment=2
> and
> http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/attachment.php?group=eclipse.
> tools.emf&id=3666&attachment=3
>
> With regards to sharing change histories,  I imagine the primary use
case
> for change histories is when you give a give a modified graph back to
the
> "same" DAS for writing back to the original source. So I in terms of
cross
> language interoperability I would extrapolate that the scenario we would
be
> supporting would be that of fairly tightly coupled DAS implementations,
all
> accessing the same source.  I may be wrong, but It doesn't sound like a
> frequently encountered scenario, so whilst it sounds like goodness, it
> wouldn't be at the top of my priority list.
I agree that ChangeSummary is not high on the priority list. Note that
there are also two practical problems as well. 1) SDO Java hasn't
implemented the "standard" serialization format for ChangeSummary yet ...
and won't have it implemented until late in the year and 2) the SDO spec
is a little ambiguous in this area and there are still spec discussions
going on, on the topic.

Frank

Re: Cross language interop

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.