Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2017/02/06 12:29:08 UTC

source forge downloads failing

Hi,

Just trying to make a new Flex SDK RC and we’re getting every source forge download failing :-(

Curl  with same URLs works as does the URL in a browser so it seems to be an ant / java issue.

For instance:

download-osmf-swc:
      [get] Getting: https://sourceforge.net/adobe/flexsdk/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/frameworks/libs/OSMF2_0.swc?format=raw
      [get] To: /Users/justinmclean/Documents/ApacheFlex4.16/in/osmf.swc
      [get] Error getting https://sourceforge.net/adobe/flexsdk/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/frameworks/libs/OSMF2_0.swc?format=raw to /Users/justinmclean/Documents/ApacheFlex4.16/in/osmf.swc

But this works fine:
curl https://sourceforge.net/adobe/flexsdk/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/frameworks/libs/OSMF2_0.swc?format=raw > /Users/justinmclean/Documents/ApacheFlex4.16/in/osmf.swc

It looks like https is broken as if you remove ignoreerrors=“true” from the ant call you get:

/Users/justinmclean/Documents/ApacheFlex4.16/frameworks/downloads.xml:113: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure

It may be possible to fix this error by added the source forge certificate to the certificate store but this adds complexity in building / validating the RC. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: source forge downloads failing

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
I also found that update 101 of Java 8 fixes some certificate issues with
Let's Encrypt. I wouldn't expect Source Forge to be using that, but maybe
worth mentioning.

- Josh

On Feb 6, 2017 7:31 AM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

Which Java are your running?  Some folks say that jdk1.8.0_66 might help.

-Alex

AW: source forge downloads failing

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Oh thanks due reporting that. I'll look into it.

Chris

Von: Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
Datum: 07.02.17 03:18 (GMT+01:00)
An: dev@flex.apache.org
Betreff: Re: source forge downloads failing

Hi,

BTW Chris the flex-sdk-converter is also failing with similar errors.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
I guess you can setup Maven repo at bintray (or general storage if you
prefer)
This should resolve all issues.

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: source forge downloads failing

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/7/17, 8:56 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> Or you could say that it is "small amounts of source" and "that source
>>is
>> unmodified and unlikely to be changed" as it says in [1].  Or do you see
>> something else?
>
>I guess it falls into unlikely to be changed so probably OK but a little
>con corded adding to our version controls.
>
>If we do add to version control perhaps add a big “Do not modify” note?

Well, maybe I'll leave it up to you to do it.  I don't want to go back and
forth about it.  I would just add them to lib/external/saxon9-NOTICES.
IMO, that's descriptive enough.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

Re: source forge downloads failing

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/7/17, 8:35 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> Yes, by changing the script.  Any objections to checking in the files
>> currently downloaded to saxon9-NOTICES into the flex-sdk repo?
>
>Not sure we can, those file are under MPL license right? which is
>category B? [1]

The files in saxon9-notices all appear to be NOTICE-type files.  Not
software.  We bundle those files in the convenience binary anyway so if we
aren't already in violation of [1], we wouldn't be by committing them to
our repo and grabbing them from there.  We would exclude them from the
source package.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Right, so before we ship, should we tweak the script to pull the Maven
> saxon and use notices stored in our repo?

Already tried that but didn’t work as it looks like it was expecting more than just the jar.

There may be a way around it.

For the build scripts - not it unpacking a bin not a jar:

   	<unzip src="${download.dir}/${saxon9.bin.zip}"
   		dest="${download.dir}/${saxon9.jar.dir}”/>

Copies notices files - presumable for legal LICENSE/NOTICE reasons?

<copy todir="${lib.ext.dir}/saxon9-NOTICES">
           <fileset dir="${download.dir}/${saxon9.jar.dir}/notices" includes="**”/>

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/6/17, 11:48 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Good you could finally get to it compile.
>
>>  I manually downloaded the maven jar from [1] and the build and
>>checkintests passed.
>
>That may be enough to get it to compile but it not quite enough to make a
>release. Our release bundles the saxon LICENSE and several other files
>from the zip into our convenience binary. Making a source only release is
>probably out of the question as the installer and people in general rely
>on the connivance binary.

Not sure I understand.  As long as the RM can download Saxon, they can
bundle saxon in the convenience binary and then it is no longer an issue?
Or am I missing something?  We could store the Saxon NOTICE files
somewhere in one of our repos.

Thoughts?
-Alex

Re: source forge downloads failing

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/10/17, 8:10 AM, "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:

>Ok so I tried to work around the problem for the largest part of the day,
>but it turns out not to be the certificate itself but the encryption
>strength sourceforge uses. It seems to require an encryption strength
>that the normal JDK simply can’t do, so we need our users to update the
>JCE, but this is not available outside of the US.
>
>Currently I don’t see any way I could reliably fix the auto-download of
>fontkit without moving the files to another server.
>
>http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jce8-download-2133
>166.html

Agree.  IMO, our customers are developers and so asking them to download
and install the JCE update is not too onerous and easier than asking them
to deal with certificates.  Below is the link for Java 7.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jce-7-download-4321
24.html

-Alex

Re: source forge downloads failing

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/13/17, 2:50 PM, "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:

>Hi Alex,
>
>Actually, it’s the sort of think I do enjoy doing … for example I did
>enjoy implmeneting the DMG decoding … but I do require format
>documentation or other pointers. If you could provide me with some more
>detailed information on this, I would consider putting that on my plate.

Awesome.  I don't have a lot to go on.  There is the SWF spec that
specifies DefineFont among other things.

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/swf/pdf/swf-file-for
mat-spec.pdf

Flex doc says "Supported file types include TrueType fonts (*.ttf),
OpenType fonts (*.otf), as well as TrueType Collections (*.ttc), Mac Data
Fork Fonts (*.dfont), and Mac Resource Fork TrueType Suitcases (which do
not have a file extension)."

There are specs for all of those.  I think code in Batik can read most or
all of these.

HTH,
-Alex

Re: source forge downloads failing

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Alex,

Am 13.02.17, 22:44 schrieb "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com>:

    On 2/13/17, 11:25 AM, "Harbs" <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I have not been following this very closely. What does fontkit do?

    Fontkit parses font files and converts them into data formats used by SWF
    DefineFont tags.  It's the kind of work I don't enjoy doing which is one
    reason it hasn't been done.  I think you can use Apache Batik to open the
    files.  IIRC, there are 4 DefineFont formats.  3 are used for TextField
    and one for TextLine.

    I don't know for sure, but I believe there is some intelligence around
    conversion of cubic curves to quadratic curves and vice-versa when going
    from CFF to TTF and back.  I heard that a straight conversion may not look
    as nice as intelligent conversion where you know the curve is on a certain
    part of the glyph, but that might just be a rumor.  We could just say that
    we won't convert between curve types.  That you have to supply CFF files
    for TextLine and TTF for TextField.  And if you need full conversion go
    get the Adobe jars.

    Because we don't have these libraries and Falcon doesn't have any code to
    work with them right now anyway, for FlexJS we are telling folks to use
    the regular Flex SDK with the FontKit to convert a font file to a SWF.
    FlexJS will work with a SWF of embedded font data.  It is just not a
    smooth workflow.

    HTH,
    -Alex

Re: source forge downloads failing

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
+1

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: source forge downloads failing

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Well I have to make the mavenizer not stop if it’s not able to download.
I think this sucks … isn’t there a way for Adobe to host these files somewhere else?
From my experience, if something doesn’t work out of the box and you have people manually patch things, they lose interest. I doubt the Flex installer or the mavenizer will be able to reliably work on normal machines.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Ok so I tried to work around the problem for the largest part of the day, but it turns out not to be the certificate itself but the encryption strength sourceforge uses. It seems to require an encryption strength that the normal JDK simply can’t do, so we need our users to update the JCE, but this is not available outside of the US.

Currently I don’t see any way I could reliably fix the auto-download of fontkit without moving the files to another server.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jce8-download-2133166.html

Chris

Am 10.02.17, 14:32 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

    So as the mavenizer is having the same error when downloading the fontkit libs, I looked into this.

    The problem is that sourceforge seems to have switched to certificates from letsencrypt. Unfortunately, prior to 1.8.0_101 the default keystore doesn’t trust those certificates. I don’t quite know how I should address this problem. I would assume, catching the error and outputting a useful error message would be the best solution, but I doubt people would execute the measures to manually add the cert-chain or update the JDK for that. So eventually adding an “unsafe-downloads” option to disable SSL certification would be an option.

    Chris

    Am 07.02.17, 06:46 schrieb "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com>:

        Well, the adobe downloads worked, but I could not get saxon to work.  It
        might be time to use the Maven saxon.jar.  I manually downloaded the maven
        jar from [1] and the build and checkintests passed.

        [1]
        http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/net/sourceforge/saxon/saxon/9.1.0.8/saxon-9.1
        .0.8.jar

        -Alex

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
This fixed it for me:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38203971/javax-net-ssl-sslhandshakeexcep

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/6/17, 12:44 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> Which Java are your running?  Some folks say that jdk1.8.0_66 might
>>help.
>
>1.8.0_73 (latest released on OSX)

Here are some links I saw when googling for it.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6353849/received-fatal-alert-handshake-f
ailure-through-sslhandshakeexception
http://superuser.com/questions/747377/enable-tls-1-1-and-1-2-for-clients-on
-java-7

HTH,
-Alex

Re: source forge downloads failing

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/6/17, 5:07 AM, "Tom Chiverton" <tc...@extravision.com> wrote:

>The MD5 checker Jenkins job is also hanging...

That's for a different reason (the VM runs out of memory trying to scan
the huge AIRSDK).  I think I've fixed that.  But thanks for noticing.

-Alex

Re: source forge downloads failing

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
The MD5 checker Jenkins job is also hanging...

Tom

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
All code and executables should be delivered over TLS.

Tom

Posted by Clint M <cm...@gmail.com>.
Would it be fine to use non https? This seems to work:
http://sourceforge.net/adobe/flexsdk/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/frameworks/libs/OSMF2_0.swc?format=raw