WebSockets in Tomcat 6

http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/reports/servers/

Attached is a patch that leverages the Tomcat WebSocket API with minimalistic changes and uses that to implement WebSockets in Tomcat 6.0.x
http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/websockets-for-tomcat-6.patch

This implementation doesn't touch the endpoints or any real connector logic, making it risk free. The only change that could do anything, would be the XXXProcessor
+            if (statusCode == HttpServletResponse.SC_SWITCHING_PROTOCOLS) {
+                outputBuffer.addActiveFilter
+                (outputFilters[Constants.IDENTITY_FILTER]);
+            } else

Where it sets an identity filter when the user is switching protocols. Otherwise Tomcat defaults to chunked encoding. You can still see Tomcat 8 sends a
Transfer-Encoding:chunked
as part of a web socket response.

This implementation also works with BIO connector, as Tomcat's CometProcessor interface supports both, and let's the implementer implement both Comet and non Comet in the same class.

Hopefully this patch shows
1. It's fairly risk free to implement this in stables branches as Tomcat 6, and possibly Tomcat 7 (as we may want to treat this as fairly stable and minimize refactoring this late in the game)
2. Performance of Comet is similar to the non Comet implementation
3. It took me 4 hours to do this migration, so it's definitely very easy to work with Comet once you have the bulk work done (the WebSocket protocol impl by Mark Thomas)

The test suite report is at
http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/reports/servers/

I would suggest we consider this for Tomcat 6(my experience is still most users are using this version). For Tomcat 7, I would recommend it, as it avoids refactoring, but I'm pretty neutral about it.

Filip

Re: WebSockets in Tomcat 6

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devlists@hanik.com
> [...]

> done using the same mechanism, then that may favor the Tomcat 8 approach

I haven't looked at the tomcat6/tomcat7 interfaces, but I think the current
hook mechanism used by spdy could be ported with minimal risk and could be
used by websockets.

All we need in both cases is for the request to stop being processed by the
original protocol, and to have direct access to the socket. Than spdy can
do its multiplexing and websocket can keep the socket alive and let the
original request headers go away.

The hard part for spdy backporting is getting the SpdyProcessor - i.e. the
virtual/multiplexed  request/response, not associated with a real socket. (
which still requires lots of work on trunk, to get the rest of the features
- comet, websocket-over-spdy, etc ). Not sure how hard it'll be to
backport, but still it shouldn't be very risky.

The other problem is the native apr library - but with java7 and jetty's
jsse-npn we can do spdy on nio/bio, so it's less of a problem.

Costin

Re: WebSockets in Tomcat 6

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Re: WebSockets in Tomcat 6