Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/11 14:39:19 UTC

[DISCUSS] Drop the AMQP 0-x client from the Qpid for Java 7.0 release

Splitting out this conversation from the "Ending support for Java 7"
discussion.

Currently the Qpid for Java release contains a Broker and an AMQP 0-x
client.  New users should be using the AMQP 1.0 JMS client which is
released as a separate component.  The AMQP 0-x client is really in bugfix
mode only at this point.  As such I'm not sure it makes sense to continue
to release "new" versions of the 0-x client on the 7.0 line.

We had already expressed a desire to split the Broker and Client releases
however there is a lot of (ill-defined) common code used by both
components.  Trying to separate and maintain both components seems overly
onerous when, in practice, the AMQP 0-x client is all but deprecated.
Moreover we will likely anyway be backporting any client bugfixes to the
6.1.x branch whether or not we remove (or separate) the client in 7.0.  As
such the client in the 6.1.x package would be functionally identical to and
7.x client.

Given the extra work involved in separating, and the fact that whatever we
do changes made to the 0-x client would likely be going into the 6.1.x
branch anyway, I propose that we drop the AMQP 0-x client from the 7.0
release.

Thoughts, comments?

-- Rob

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop the AMQP 0-x client from the Qpid for Java 7.0 release

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 9 February 2017 at 13:18, Keith W <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks but I'm aware that there is still outstanding work.    LICENSE
> files will be updated and qpid-jms-amqp-0-x-test-utils will almost
> certainly disappear.  Separating the two actually proved more painful
> than I anticipated and as a result I needed a staging post.

Great. Just pointing things out that aren't mentioned in the JIRAs list.

> I would also like to move both of these to Git, so we have a
> consistent version control story across the whole project.  I think to
> schedule this after work is concluded on QPID-7622.  This will be done
> before v7.0 is released.

Excellent

Posted by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 12 January 2017 at 14:22, Keith W <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The idea to jump the version number of the client was to clearly
> differentiate it from the previous release where broker/client were
> released together.  I accept that such a change might cause confusion
> and lead some users to believe the legacy client to be the latest and
> greatest.   I'd be happy with calling the release 6.3.  I'm imagining
> prominent notes on the Qpid Broker for Java and 0-x client components
> pages emphasising the fact that the two components are released
> separately.

Yes, I think the site and all the other factors, coupled with the
broker going to 7.x and the client not, would communiciate the change
more clearly than bumping the client version significantly which could
cause more confusion.

> With regarded to version control mechanism, I do dearly want to move
> both Qpid Broker for Java and the 0-x client to GIT.  Having one
> Apache project use both SVN and GIT is just plain ugly and puts
> barriers for folks wanting to get involved.  However, our timetable
> for a next few months is already overfull, I think to delay the GIT
> migration for the moment for time being, possibly to just after the v7
> release.  If we have capacity, I will move that forward.
>
> So, for the moment, I suggest these components remain SVN in the following way:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/java/  - will continue to house
> everything it houses today (Broker, Integration Tests etc) except for
> 0-x client and 0-x client docs.
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/qpid-jms-client-amqp-0-x  - a
> new repository  created for the rehired 0-x client.  The Maven
> artefact name will remain unchanged (qpid-client)

I'd be fine with that (maybe drop 'client' from the 'repo' name to
align, and avoid containing the other clients artifact name). That

Posted by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.