Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jean-Bernard Stefani <Je...@inrialpes.fr> on 2003/10/06 18:43:28 UTC

licenses for ObjectWeb components & Apache/OW collaboration

Dear Brian and Greg,

We (ObjectWeb) owe you a response on possible changes of licenses for
ObjectWeb components, to further the possibility for collaboration between
Apache and ObjectWeb.

I am happy to report that both the ObjectWeb Board and the ObjectWeb
College of Architects have agreed that, for ObjectWeb components that are
to be developed collaboratively with the Apache Software Foundation, a
change of license from LGPL to BSD is encouraged.

Ultimately, of course, the final responsibility for effecting such a change
lies with the copyright holders of the source code under consideration.

For the two cases at hand, namely the JOTM transaction engine and the ASM
bytecode manipulator, I am happy to report that the respective copyright
holders are ready to make this change, should the ASF require it.

As we discussed in previous messages, I believe such a policy meets the
requirements of the ASF for incorporating ObjectWeb components in its code
base.

Best regards,

Jean-Bernard

Jean-Bernard STEFANI
Research Director, SARDES Project
INRIA Rhône-Alpes
655, avenue de l'Europe
Montbonnot
38334 St Ismier Cedex
France
tel : +33 (0)4 76 61 52 57
fax : +33 (0)4 76 61 52 52
email : Jean-Bernard.Stefani@inria.fr

Re: [ObjectWeb architecture] Re: licenses for ObjectWeb components & Apache/OW collaboration

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Miroslav Halas wrote:
> Brian and Jean-Bernard,
>
> maybe this is a silly question, but somewhere
> (http://incubator.apache.org/projects/geronimo-proposal.html) I have
> read that one of the main purposes behind starting Geronimo project was
> absence of ASF (or BSD like) licensed J2EE server. If Objectweb is
> willing to change license on some of its components, maybe it would be
> possible to change the license of Jonas as well.
>
> Question: Would that be possible / feasible at all ?

I can't speak for ObjectWeb on licensing all of JOnAS under the BSD.  I
can say that even if they were to do so, there might still be good reason
to have an more than one BSD-licensed Sun-certified J2EE server.
"Duplication of effort" should be avoided of course, but even when writing
standards-conformant software, there can be genuinely different approaches
with different tradeoffs - speed vs. code complexity, for example, or
small runtime memory size versus everything else.  Furthermore, if two
teams are separately trying to solve the same problem, your odds of
finding the right answer are greater than if you just had one team of
similar size, and both teams can probably enjoy the fruits of the winning
team's efforts.

One thing I've suggested to a couple of others is the idea of an "open
source J2EE implementors' forum", a mailing list hosted some place
"neutral" (Jean-Pierre suggested java.net, that makes sense to me) which
would be a place where developers from Geronimo, JOnAS, heck even JBoss
could discuss topics germane to any open source J2EE, from certification
to further code sharing to... who knows.

	Brian

Re: [ObjectWeb architecture] Re: licenses for ObjectWeb components & Apache/OW collaboration

Posted by Pierre-Yves Gibello <pi...@experlog.com>.
Miroslav Halas wrote:

>Brian and Jean-Bernard,
>
>maybe this is a silly question, but somewhere
>(http://incubator.apache.org/projects/geronimo-proposal.html) I have
>read that one of the main purposes behind starting Geronimo project was
>absence of ASF (or BSD like) licensed J2EE server. If Objectweb is
>willing to change license on some of its components, maybe it would be
>possible to change the license of Jonas as well.
>
>Question: Would that be possible / feasible at all ?
>
>In so then there would be no need to reimplement the whole J2EE stack
>again just to use a different license.
>
>Not sure what are other reasons behind Geronimo, but if one of them is
>to use already available J2EE stack components other than then ones
>provided by Objectweb, wouldn't it be better to just improve Jonas to be
>truly plug an play with ability to use for example different EJB
>container (OpenEJB)?

I don't believe having multiple open-source J2EE projects is a loss of
energy. Nor is it a war.

It is closer to sound competition, or "coopetition"; See how we at
ObjectWeb already use apache components, like Tomcat; also, on the
"political" ground, multiple actors have proven to be stronger, for
example to make Sun's position evolve concerning certification.
Such a process makes each of us better, it's just like we are multiple
participants to a  marathon race, a condition to run fast.

I am also convinced we - the IT industry - need even more than 2
implementations to make open-source J2EE credible (at least 2 certified
ones would be good). Then we'll be the big alternative to commercial app
servers.

So, welcome Geronimo !

Regards,
 Pierre-Yves Gibello - ExperLog (and ObjectWeb board)

Re: [ObjectWeb architecture] Re: licenses for ObjectWeb components & Apache/OW collaboration

Posted by Miroslav Halas <ob...@bastafidli.com>.
Brian and Jean-Bernard,

maybe this is a silly question, but somewhere
(http://incubator.apache.org/projects/geronimo-proposal.html) I have
read that one of the main purposes behind starting Geronimo project was
absence of ASF (or BSD like) licensed J2EE server. If Objectweb is
willing to change license on some of its components, maybe it would be
possible to change the license of Jonas as well.

Question: Would that be possible / feasible at all ?

In so then there would be no need to reimplement the whole J2EE stack
again just to use a different license.

Not sure what are other reasons behind Geronimo, but if one of them is
to use already available J2EE stack components other than then ones
provided by Objectweb, wouldn't it be better to just improve Jonas to be
truly plug an play with ability to use for example different EJB
container (OpenEJB)?

I believe implementation of full J2EE spec is not a trivial task as you
can see from the history of Jonas, JBoss and others. Change of license
could save (or redirect to more or faster achievable goals) lots of
development resources if license is the only reason and also help
establish de-facto standard (similar to Apache HTTP server, or Tomcat
JSP container) faster (especially since hopefully Jonas will be soon
J2EE certified thanks to the Sun's scholarship Objectweb received).

Hope this is not too off topic,

Miro Halas

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Agreed - great news!

I've been using ASM a lot lately (on Groovy http://groovy.codehaus.org)
and it rocks for generating bytecode dynamically. We can definitely use
ASM for any bytecode generation stuff we need.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: licenses for ObjectWeb components & Apache/OW collaboration

Posted by Jan Bartel <ja...@mortbay.com>.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <fe...@frii.com>.
This one time, at band camp, Jean-Bernard Stefani said:

JS>For the two cases at hand, namely the JOTM transaction engine and the ASM
JS>bytecode manipulator, I am happy to report that the respective copyright
JS>holders are ready to make this change, should the ASF require it.

This is great! It will allow us to work with JOTM rather than build our
own TM from the ground up thereby duplicating efforts (even though there
has already been some work put into building a small Geronimo TM). Does
this relicensing of JOTM cover the Advanced Developments as well?

Bruce

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo