Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Webster Homer <we...@milliporesigma.com> on 2021/09/28 21:54:43 UTC

Null pointer exception in simple streaming call

I am trying to use the streaming API to output a file from one of our solrcloud collections. It seems like this should be simple but it keeps throwing an exception.
I tried to use the Solrconsole UI and got farther than with Java or CURL. In the console if I give it a query with a limited result set it worked alright, but times out with a larger set.

I am running Solr 7.7.3 is solrcloud mode. The collection has 2 shards with 2 replicas per shard. Normally we just use the normal solr search, but I needed to dump out all the rows with some filtering applied This is my CURL command

curl --data-urlencode  'expr=search(qt="/export",q="*:*",fl="display_material_number,display_pno,key_brand",sort="display_pno asc",fq="searchmv_sales_org:(2106 OR 7950 OR 0)", fq="-key_product_status:(INTERNAL OR WITHDRAWN)", fq="-facet_country_exclusions:US")
' http://localhost:8983/solr/sial-catalog-material/stream

This is the response:
./stream_materials.sh
{
  "result-set":{
    "docs":[{
        "EXCEPTION":null,
        "EOF":true}]}}

When I created a Java program it gave me this stack trace:
Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: java.lang.NullPointerException
              at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.io.stream.CloudSolrStream.constructStreams(CloudSolrStream.java:389)
              at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.io.stream.CloudSolrStream.open(CloudSolrStream.java:278)
              at com.sial.solrcloud.streams.SialStreamingMaterials.main(SialStreamingMaterials.java:46)
              at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.io.stream.TupleStream.getShards(TupleStream.java:133)
              at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.io.stream.CloudSolrStream.constructStreams(CloudSolrStream.java:374)
              ... 2 more

TupleStream.java line number 133 is:
CloudSolrClient cloudSolrClient = streamContext.getSolrClientCache().getCloudSolrClient(zkHost);

In the Solr Console if I change the q parameter to be q="search_material:T1503*" I get some results so I think the expression is close to what I want. I just  want all the rows that satisfy the filter queries.

I don't even know where to look. Any help would be welcome.

This message and any attachment are confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the contents to any other person. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachment from your system. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany and any of its subsidiaries do not accept liability for any omissions or errors in this message which may arise as a result of E-Mail-transmission or for damages resulting from any unauthorized changes of the content of this message and any attachment thereto. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany and any of its subsidiaries do not guarantee that this message is free of viruses and does not accept liability for any damages caused by any virus transmitted therewith.

Click merckgroup.com/disclaimer<https://www.merckgroup.com/en/legal-disclaimer/mail-disclaimer.html> to access the German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Polish and Slovak versions of this disclaimer.

Please find our Privacy Statement information by clicking here merckgroup.com/en/privacy-statement.html<https://www.merckgroup.com/en/privacy-statement.html>

Re: Null pointer exception in simple streaming call

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.
The raw java API is not supported. You'll need to use Streaming Expressions
which has a lot of documentation.

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.
I think you're just missing the collection as the first param:

search(<collection>,
qt="/export",q="*:*",fl="display_material_number,display_pno,key_brand",sort="display_pno
asc",fq="searchmv_sales_org:(2106 OR 7950 OR 0)",
fq="-key_product_status:(INTERNAL OR WITHDRAWN)",
fq="-facet_country_exclusions:US")

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 5:55 PM Webster Homer <