Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Laura Morales <la...@mail.com> on 2020/12/17 15:00:06 UTC

Turtle* multiple terms at once

All the examples online about RDF* use a one-triple term, like this (taken from Fuseki docs)

    << :john foaf:name "John Smith" >> dct:source <http://example/directory> .

I wonder if there is any way in Turtle* to apply the same properties to multiple terms at once? Something like this

    << :john :name "John"; :age 20 >> dct:source ex:source .

Or do I have to write every term one by one? I couldn't find any documentation about this.

Re: Turtle* multiple terms at once

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
RDF* is for an individual triple. It's a localised change to RDF that
leaves the rest of RDF alone.

If you want groups of triples, named graphs give you a mechanism to do that.

You could do it via the data model to share the annotations:

<< :john :name "John" >> :annotatedBy :X .
<< :john :age 20 >> :annotatedBy :X .

:X dct:source ex:source .

<<>> is a new kind of RDF term

in N3, graphs ("formula"s) are be RDF terms but in plain RDF, a graph is
not a component of a graph. N3 graphs are a whole different world.

A use case is to have the annotations in one graph about triples in
another (wikidata). Using named graphs and putting one triple in the
graph has (many times!) been suggested; the counter argument is that it
is a waste of named graph to do that.

RDF* grew out of wanting a labelled property graph like feature.

     Andy