Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by tmp <sk...@amossen.dk> on 2005/05/06 10:13:53 UTC

Bayesian tests only partially enabled?

I have enabled bayesian tests and sometimes a BAYES_xx shows up
correctly in the tests="bla bla" field in the mail header. But not
always. Shouldn't the bayesian test result always be listed here,
eventually just as a BAYES_00?

Things worked perfectly on my old 2.6x installation but after upgrading
to 3.0.2, things seems partially broken (3.0.3 does not currently exist
in debian/sarge). What to do?

Another question:
My bayes network is pretty well trained and is therefore also quite
reliable. But currently a "tests='BAYES_99'" only produce a score=1.9.
How can I increase the scores given for the BAYES rules?
In which config file should I insert these score configuration
statements?

Thanks

Re: Bayesian tests only partially enabled?

Posted by Kevin Peuhkurinen <ke...@meridiancu.ca>.
tmp wrote:
> I have enabled bayesian tests and sometimes a BAYES_xx shows up
> correctly in the tests="bla bla" field in the mail header. But not
> always. Shouldn't the bayesian test result always be listed here,
> eventually just as a BAYES_00?
>
> Things worked perfectly on my old 2.6x installation but after upgrading
> to 3.0.2, things seems partially broken (3.0.3 does not currently exist
> in debian/sarge). What to do?
>
> Another question:
> My bayes network is pretty well trained and is therefore also quite
> reliable. But currently a "tests='BAYES_99'" only produce a score=1.9.
> How can I increase the scores given for the BAYES rules?
> In which config file should I insert these score configuration
> statements?
>
> Thanks

Bayes will only rate emails if they contain enough tokens that it has
already seen, otherwise it will not provide a Bayes score.

You can raise the scores in either ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs or
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

Kevin

Re: Bayesian tests only partially enabled?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
tmp wrote:

>I have enabled bayesian tests and sometimes a BAYES_xx shows up
>correctly in the tests="bla bla" field in the mail header. But not
>always. Shouldn't the bayesian test result always be listed here,
>eventually just as a BAYES_00?

You mean a BAYES_50. BAYES_00 is a very strong Bayesian score, whereas
50 is a neutral score and would be the score a message matching no
tokens would get.

That much, AFAIK, is true. You should always get some form of bayes hit,
which makes me wonder if you've got file permission issues... Do you use
the bayes_path option? If so, did you use bayes_file_mode 0777 with it?

>Things worked perfectly on my old 2.6x installation but after upgrading
>to 3.0.2, things seems partially broken (3.0.3 does not currently exist
>in debian/sarge). What to do?
>
>Another question:
>My bayes network is pretty well trained and is therefore also quite
>reliable. But currently a "tests='BAYES_99'" only produce a score=1.9.
>How can I increase the scores given for the BAYES rules?

Upgrade to 3.0.3, they upped bayes_99 to 3.5 for set3.

 score BAYES_60 0 0 3.515 1.0
 score BAYES_80 0 0 3.608 2.0
 score BAYES_95 0 0 3.514 3.0
 score BAYES_99 0 0 4.070 3.5

>In which config file should I insert these score configuration
>statements?

Normally you want your config options to be in /etc/mail/spamassassin,
as these will not be destroyed during upgrade.

In this case, you want the scores to be obliterated when you next
upgrade. I'd consider creating /usr/share/spamassassin/51_scorechanges.cf.

However, I'd recommend the upgrade, as 3.0.3 is only a minor update and
fixes some other semi-nasty bugs. The config options haven't changed,
nor have the requirements, so the upgrade should be smooth in comparison
to a 2.6x -> 3.x upgrade

Some highlights of fixes in 3.0.3 (from the Changes file)

    -Bug 4201: Do no lookup email addresses for URIBL tests
    -replace bayes scores for network+bayes score set
    -Bug 3944: get_envelope_from not handling received header
    -bug 4191: urls with invalidly listed port isn't handled
    -bug 4121: user defined rule's scores become ignored after spamd
processes a message.
        problem is in how the {scores} reference is handled (or not) by
copy_config().
    -Bug 4075: use each instead of grep/keys to avoid reading large
chunks of the autowhitelist into memory
    -Bug 4044: SPF test moved to use DNS we control and to test for fail
as well as pass

>Thanks

You're welcome.