Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/19 13:11:46 UTC

[DOSGi] Including Zookeeper-based Discovery in the builds

Hi all,

As I've mentioned before I've started working on an RFC 119 / DOSGi
compliant discovery implementation based on Apache Zookeeper. There's
already quite a bit of code + tests in SVN, but they're currently not
yet part of the build (they're simply not listed as submodules in the
parent pom).
I would like to include them in the build, but there is one issue. The
ZooKeeper libraries only work on Java 6.

The CXF/DOSGi code all works with Java 5, but obviously it needs to
run under a Java 6 VM if you want to use the Zookeeper stuff.

My question is this: would it be possible to configure the
(Maven/Hudson) build in such a way that it runs under Java 6, but
produces Java 5 compatible .jar files. That way users who don't use
the zookeeper stuff can use Java 5, while those who do run under Java
6. I think this can be done with the javac -target 1.5 flag, but I
have no experience how to configure this under Maven/Hudson...

Anyone an idea?

Cheers,

David

Re: [DOSGi] Including Zookeeper-based Discovery in the builds

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Tue May 19 2009 7:11:46 am David Bosschaert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As I've mentioned before I've started working on an RFC 119 / DOSGi
> compliant discovery implementation based on Apache Zookeeper. There's
> already quite a bit of code + tests in SVN, but they're currently not
> yet part of the build (they're simply not listed as submodules in the
> parent pom).
> I would like to include them in the build, but there is one issue. The
> ZooKeeper libraries only work on Java 6.
>
> The CXF/DOSGi code all works with Java 5, but obviously it needs to
> run under a Java 6 VM if you want to use the Zookeeper stuff.

Interesting.   What does it use in Java6 that forces it into java6 only?

> My question is this: would it be possible to configure the
> (Maven/Hudson) build in such a way that it runs under Java 6, but
> produces Java 5 compatible .jar files. That way users who don't use
> the zookeeper stuff can use Java 5, while those who do run under Java
> 6. I think this can be done with the javac -target 1.5 flag, but I
> have no experience how to configure this under Maven/Hudson...
>
> Anyone an idea?

That shouldn't be a problem.   You would configure the maven-compile-plugin
with source/target 1.5.  (it probably already is)

I can easily flip hudson to use 1.6 for the builds.    Done.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org