Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Tim Jones <ti...@vertisoft.com> on 2003/12/16 15:51:29 UTC

FW: determining characters displayed on PDF

Hi,

  I am wondering if there is a way to determine the number of characters
that are displayed on a particular line in the PDF when converting.
Basically my problem is that I need to keep three lines of a particular
paragraph with a block that comes after this paragraph. I cant do a keep
with previous or next because then it keeps the whole paragraph with the
next block and basically leaves too much white space on the previous page.
So I need to be able to split the paragraph and keep the after split of
three lines with the next block. What I am doing now is splitting the
paragraph before I send it to the FOP converter but the problem is when I
try and guess what is going to be displayed on the PDF and split the
paragraph accordingly I get strange results. It works fine for fixed space
fonts like Courier but I get strange results for other fonts like Times
(basically it does not break the line where I think). Where exactly in the
code is this being determined or does anyone know a better way to do this.

thanks,
Tim Jones