Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Riaan Oberholzer <ri...@yahoo.com> on 2003/06/18 09:03:07 UTC

Best way to deploy an application?

As far as I can see, you can deploy a .war in three
ways:

1) Dump it in the webapps dir
2) Deploy it with the console
3) Use the ant tasks in the catalina-ant.jar

I use #3, particularly in development it is the
fastest.

Which one is recommended and what are the pro's & cons
of them? Why should/shouldn't I use one or more of
these methods?

Re: Best way to deploy an application?

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Topic most likely to start a flame war.

I like to do things manually. In 4.0 - I always edit server.xml and keep my
webapps out of the webapps dir. By doing a manual restart - I can guarantee
when my JVM crashes (or other stuff occurs) - I can guarantee it will restart.

In 4.1 - I plop an XML file in the webapps dir (with the context config) and
my webapps still reside somewhere else.

-Tim