Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Sheri Gish <sh...@brio.com> on 2002/05/02 02:17:22 UTC

Integrating WSDL2Java generated type classes with legacy code

Hello,

I am replacing existing distributed interfaces with web service interfaces
in legacy code.  I can use Java2WSDL and then WSDL2Java to generate all the
necessary code files as described in the user guide, but I am having trouble
understanding what to do with the Java classes generated from the WSDL
types.  Here's an example which illustrates my problem:

I have a class FooData.java which resides in the package my.app.info -- I
pass FooData instances in some of the operations within my web service
interface.  Using Java2WSDL, I get a WSDL file which includes a WSDL type
defined for my.app.info.FooData.  Java2WSDL generates a class
my.app.info.FooData.java which implements java.io.Serializable and contains
the mapping information necessary to handle the type with the
BeanSerializer/Deserializer.  So now I have *two* FooData classes in
my.app.info which do different things (one is the original class while the
other is the serialization mapping class).

It seems to me that the web service proxy classes are the only ones which
need to use the serialization information, so the generated FooData class
file really should belong to the same package as the web service proxy
classes (the one defined as the target namespace) and not to the package of
the original class file.  Is that right?  If it is, how do I tell the
Java2WSDL tool to assign the type class files it creates to the target
namespace instead of to the original namespaces it discovers from my legacy
code?

Or is there another way to do this?  Any help or suggestions will be greatly
appreciated.  I'm using Axis Beta2 with Tomcat 4.0.4b2.

-- Sheri
   sgish@brio.com

Re: Integrating WSDL2Java generated type classes with legacy code

Posted by Ken Weiner <kw...@interactivebusiness.com>.
I have the same exact question.  Sheri, if you receive any help on this
off the list, please let me know.

-Ken