Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de> on 2002/10/03 21:24:14 UTC

Re: utf-8 in 1.3.x

> At 5:26 AM +0200 9/28/02, Gerald Richter wrote:
> >  > Is there anyway to get proper escaping of strings when I'm using
> >>  UTF-8 encoding?  Right now I print them with my own subroutine which
> >>  sets $escmode to 0 and then escapes <>&.
> >
> >Compiling Embperl with epchar.c.min instead of epchar.c (copy
epchar.c.min
> >to epchar.c) should work with utf8
>
> I wish there were some way to do it in $escmode.  I'm not sure what
> the ramifications of switching all my sites to that would be given
> that many of them don't currently specify any character set.  Any
> ideas?

The effect is, that all characters above 127 are not escaped. This means if
somebody, with a browser with a different default charset then iso-8859-1
will view your site, the characters with code above 127 maybe displayed
wrong. This is mainly a problem for languages like german or french which
uses chars like ä or á .

If you want to be sure that everything is displayed correctly you need to
add the charset definition to your webs

Gerald