Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Rodrigo Lopez <ro...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/12 18:30:13 UTC

lxc and xen in the same cloud

Hello,
I have deployed a Cloud with CS 4.1.1 with two clusters of Xen hypervisor.
We are now facing the possibility to add a new cluster running LXC. I
have read the documentation on how to configure CS to use LXC, and that
created some doubts:

If I follow the docs and configure the CS to use LXC will the
environment that is already set up continue to run without any problems?

I also read that it is needed a KVM host to run the system VMs for the
LXC host. I would like to add a cluster of ARM servers running LXC. So,
I was not planning to add KVM hypervisor on them. Would it be ok to have
a cluster running KVM to provide the resources for the system VMs that
are going to be needed for the LXC cluster?

Re: lxc and xen in the same cloud

Posted by Francois Gaudreault <fg...@cloudops.com>.
Rodrigo,

On 2014-03-12, 1:30 PM, Rodrigo Lopez wrote:
> Hello,
> I have deployed a Cloud with CS 4.1.1 with two clusters of Xen
> hypervisor.
> We are now facing the possibility to add a new cluster running LXC. I
> have read the documentation on how to configure CS to use LXC, and
> that created some doubts:
>
> If I follow the docs and configure the CS to use LXC will the
> environment that is already set up continue to run without any problems?
The way I understand this, you will have only to create an LXC cluster
in your existing zone, and just be careful about what Network labels you
use for the LXC (Zone config).

> I also read that it is needed a KVM host to run the system VMs for the
> LXC host. I would like to add a cluster of ARM servers running LXC.
> So, I was not planning to add KVM hypervisor on them. Would it be ok
> to have a cluster running KVM to provide the resources for the system
> VMs that are going to be needed for the LXC cluster?
No, any hypervisor should do. There are no SVM templates for LXC, that's
all.

--
Francois Gaudreault
fgaudreault@cloudops.com