Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by John McDonnell <jo...@apache.org> on 2018/04/25 07:35:44 UTC

Re: JUnit 5 Support

On 2017/05/17 17:50:30, Marc Philipp <mp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Emi,
>
> JUnit 5 introduces a new architecture: It supports running multiple engines (i.e. testing frameworks) on a common platform. JUnit Vintage is an engine implementation that makes it possible to run JUnit 3 and 4 tests on the new platform. JUnit Jupiter is comprised of an API to write tests and an engine implementation to execute them on the platform.
>
> The platform provides an API (the Launcher API) for IDEs and build tools to execute tests using any engine that’s available at runtime. For example, an IDE would tell the the Launcher to execute a Java class. It does not necessarily have to know anything about the testing framework this test class was written for. The platform is open for any testing framework that runs on the JVM, not just for JUnit projects. Thus, we’d like to see Netbeans support the new platform instead of providing custom support for JUnit 4. Please refer to the documentation for an example of how to use the Launcher API: http://junit.org/junit5/docs/current/user-guide/#launcher-api
>
> We can’t spare any resources at the moment but would be happy to provide guidance, feedback on the implementation etc.
>
> Thanks,
> Marc
>

> On 17. May 2017, 16:43 +0200, Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>, wrote:
> > Hello Marc,
> >
> > I've read that with "JUnit Vintage" one can still run Junit 3 and 4 tests.
> > Presumably IDE support will work for those out of the box?
> >
> > So the problem is only for tests specifically written for JUnit 5? Do you
> > have any statistics of the JUnit 5 adoption within the dev community?
> >
> > I remember there was a license conflict with NetBeans under the previous
> > license and we couldn't ship JUnit.
> >
> > Now I see that the Junit Eclipse Public License (EPL 1.0) is compatible
> > with Apache ( https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b ) so
> > it's nice that we will ship it again after switching to the ASF.
> >
> > Just having you here on the mailing list and available is a good step.
> > Various other ways JUnit could help, but it depends on the kind of
> > resources you can spare and who will take up the Junit5 task.
> >

> > --emi
> >
> > On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Marc Philipp <mp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I’m a member of the JUnit team. We’re currently working on a major new
> > > version: JUnit 5. It will require work by IDEs to support test execution
> > > and reporting within the IDE. IntelliJ IDEA and Eclipse (on a branch)
> > > already support the new JUnit Platform and the new Jupiter API to write
> > > tests.
> > >
> > > Are there any plans to add JUnit 5 support to Netbeans? If so, how can we
> > > help?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Marc

Hi,

Resurrecting an ancient thread here, but I recently went to a DubJug event and we walked through migrating code from JUnit 4 to 5, and last week when I had some downtime I migrated some work related stuff as well.  So I find myself starting to use JUnit 5 more and more and want to see what support we need to get into Netbeans.

I've started to compile a sort of requirements list and would like some input into area's I'm missing.  Note I only work with Maven based projects, so knowledge of ant based projects I would need help with (will need to also read up on how JUnit 5 handles ant as well)

Maven Based Projects:
Create/Update Tests dialog to automatically pick JUint 5.x when Java version is 8+
 + Auto generate correct code for JUnit 5
 Test File & Debug Test File Actions work
Run/Debug Focused actions to handle new annotations/custom (tagged) annotations

Test Results window to support JUnit 5 features like:
 + Parameterized Tests
 + Display Names

Unit Test Template for JUnit 5.x
Don't change JUint 4 Support, i.e. Don't use Vintage Engine
Include Library for JUnit 5  (Tools -> Library -> JUnit 5.x) to include the following dependencies :
 + org.junit.platform:junit-platform-launcher:1.1.1:jar
 + org.junit.jupiter:junit-jupiter-engine:5.1.1:jar
 + org.junit.jupiter:junit-jupiter-api:5.1.1:jar
 + org.junit.jupiter:junit-jupiter-params:5.1.1:jar

Any areas of the IDE that I'm missing?

John

Re: JUnit 5 Support

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
After a conversation with Geertjan at NetBeans Day UK earlier today, I have
migrated these requirements into a more formal document:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Feature+Request+-+JUnit+5+Outline

Please feel free to add requirements to this and we can start working on
introducing this to NetBeans 9, maybe with some features even making a
NetBeans 9.0 release :)

Regards

John