Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tobias Meissner <to...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/10 13:47:52 UTC

Changing the Webapps directory

Hi,

I just got a short question.
In the context of an actual project it would be helpful to change the path
of the webapps directory to some other location, e.g. network drive Z:\.
We are currently using the Apache Tomcat version 6 on Windows XP.

We already changed the appBase in server.xml to this drive and restarted the
Tomcat, but this didn't work.

Here an short excerpt of the server.xml:
<Host name="localhost"  appBase="Z:\webapps"
            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

kind regards
Tobias Meißer

Re: Changing the Webapps directory

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
Consider also that, depending on your Windows version and perhaps
other factors, your service may have *no network credentials* and be
unable to map drives.  Recent versions (sorry, I have been away from
Windows for a while) added several system accounts specifically for
the use of services that need access to remote resources.  On older
versions you'd need to create or select a domain account, grant it
sufficient rights and privileges on the host, and use that account to
run your service.

Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he
means the exact opposite.

RE: Changing the Webapps directory

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Tobias Meissner [mailto:tobias.meissner@gmail.com]
> I just got a short question.
> In the context of an actual project it would be helpful to
> change the path
> of the webapps directory to some other location, e.g. network
> drive Z:\.
> We are currently using the Apache Tomcat version 6 on Windows XP.

Are you running Tomcat as a service?  If so, remember that mapped drives are per-user and therefore the service won't pick up the drive.

As an aside, are you *absolutely sure* you want to use a network drive?  You will lose reliability and add considerable overhead, especially as by default Tomcat rescans all its webapp directories for changes every few seconds.  I'd strongly advise using local storage if at all possible, even if that means adding disks to the Tomcat server.

                - Peter