Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Drew Tomlinson <dr...@mykitchentable.net> on 2008/09/26 19:30:39 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_auth_ldap

I used the Apache 2.2.6 package from SunFreeware to upgrade various
Sparc servers running Solaris 8 and 9.  However this package does not
include mod_auth_ldap which is needed for a few of the sites.  I've
Googled and only turned up a lot of pages detailing compiling problems.
I have not compiled on Solaris machines and would like to avoid if
possible.  Can anyone point me to a place where I might download this
module and avoid compiling nightmares?  :)  If not, how about a good
Apache compiling tutorial for a newbie.

Thanks,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse

http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com

Re: [users@httpd] mod_auth_ldap

Posted by Drew Tomlinson <dr...@mykitchentable.net>.
Sheryl wrote:
>>> Are you aware that there is no such module in 2.2.x?  Most of the auth
>>> modules were renamed.  You probably want to load mod_ldap and
>>> mod_authnz_ldap.
>>>

>> No I was not aware.  Thank you.  However I am still out of luck as there
>> is no module with "*ldap*" in the name.  :(
>>

> Did you add the flags
>
> --enable-ldap --enable-authnz-ldap --with-ldap
>
> to your configure?  Something that is poorly documented is that
> apr/apr-util can require flags that apache itself doesn't.
>
> You might need the following if the configure process can't find ldap.
>
>   --with-ldap-include=path  path to ldap include files with trailing slash
>   --with-ldap-lib=path    path to ldap lib file
>   --with-ldap=library     ldap library to use
>
> Also, check the output to see if configure is finding your ldap libraries.
>  To get back basics even more, you need to be sure that you have the ldap
> headers and libraries installed.  On linux RPM systems, there's usually an
> ldap-devel package you have to install in addition to ldap so you can
> compile programs to use the libraries.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Sheryl

Thanks for your reply.  In my post above where I said I was still out of
luck as the ldap modules didn't exist, I was referring to a package I
installed from SunFreeware.  I have since removed the package and
"rolled my own". Everything is working fine.

Thanks,

Drew

Re: [users@httpd] mod_auth_ldap

Posted by Sheryl <gu...@his.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] mod_auth_ldap

Posted by Drew Tomlinson <dr...@mykitchentable.net>.

Re: [users@httpd] mod_auth_ldap

Posted by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>.
<dr...@mykitchentable.net> said:
> I used the Apache 2.2.6 package from SunFreeware to upgrade various
> Sparc servers running Solaris 8 and 9.  However this package does not
> include mod_auth_ldap which is needed for a few of the sites.  I've
> Googled and only turned up a lot of pages detailing compiling
> problems. I have not compiled on Solaris machines and would like to
> avoid if possible.  Can anyone point me to a place where I might
> download this module and avoid compiling nightmares?  :)  If not, how
> about a good Apache compiling tutorial for a newbie.

Are you aware that there is no such module in 2.2.x?  Most of the auth
modules were renamed.  You probably want to load mod_ldap and
mod_authnz_ldap.

Dan

Re: [users@httpd] mod_auth_ldap

Posted by Drew Tomlinson <dr...@mykitchentable.net>.
Jorge Medina wrote:
> I would trust more an Apache version that you compiled yourself, since
> this guarantees you have all dependencies installed.
>
> The online building documentation is good:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/install.html
>
> Building it from scratch seems more difficult that what it actually is.
> Don't fear it.
>
> Below is the general sequence (you may adapt to Solaris and build
> directories). You also need to decide what modules to build. Note that
> "all" does not add ALL modules, you still need to specify some of the
> modules you want. Try adding modules until you get what you need.
>
> The list of modules is available here:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/
>

> You can run
>    # ./configure --help
> for information on more options.
>

> $ cd ~
> $ tar -zxvf httpd-major.minor.build.tar.gz
> $ cd httpd-major.minor.build
>
> ## The following line creates the makefile
> $ ./configure --srcdir=~/httpd-major.minor.build \
>               --with-port=80
>               --prefix=/opt/apache2
>               --with-ldap
>               --with-included-apr
>               --enable-mods-shared="all ssl ldap authnz_ldap echo info"
> ## now lets build the software
> $ make
>
> ## Finally, lets copy all required files in the directory
> ## pointed by the --prefix argument
>
> $ make install
>
> If you run 'configure' again, you may want to start clean:
> $ make clean
>
> You will still need to write the scripts to start the daemon when the OS
> is restarted and register those scripts to run in the appropriate
> sequence; after network services are available. I can't help with that.
>
> The above instructions build the modules as shared libraries. You need
> to use LoadModule in your httpd.conf file. You can link the libraries
> statically, but I don't see good reasons to do that.

Thank you for the overview.  I will try this.

Cheers,

Drew

Re: [users@httpd] mod_auth_ldap -- Solved

Posted by Drew Tomlinson <dr...@mykitchentable.net>.
I was able to compile Apache 2.2.9 from source.  For the archives and
others dealing with Solaris, I had to add "/usr/ccs/bin" to my path to
resolve a "ar:  command not found" message.  I also found this post
helpful in converting my 2.0 conf files to 2.2:

http://www.issociate.de/board/post/468428/Subversion_LDAP_config_Apache_2_vs_Apache_2.2.html

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Drew