Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Omar Adobati <om...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/17 20:45:20 UTC

[Tomcat 5.0] sharing session and authentication

Good Morning,

I would like to know if there is a way to share authentication
informations and session informations too betwen a page and another
one thet is into a iframe.
The authentication is done usiing the tomcat capabilities
(form-authentication method)

--
Adobati Omar
omar.adobati@gmail.it

Re: [Tomcat 5.0] sharing session and authentication

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 09:28:49PM +0100, Omar Adobati wrote:
: > If the two resources are not part of the same webapp, then no, this
: > isn't possible (read: not possible using standard J2EE session scoping).

: There is a way, maybe playing with context, to do what i need?

If both sites/webapps run in the same Tomcat container, look into
the SingleSingOn Valve (that may be a typo, watch out).  That's
Tomcat-specific, though, and it forces you to put both apps in the same
JVM.

Otherwise, you're outside of the scope of the servlet spec.  Look into
writing your own such framework or finding some third-party (free or
otherwise) implementation.

The former would require a fair amount of thought and design if it's
going to be robust.  (Sharing auth info is already a sizable task;
sharing session-like data is another challenge.)  Ask yourself going in
whether it's even worth the work.

For the latter, I haven't seen any such free/open-source products, so
you may end up paying for a commercial app.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com

Re: [Tomcat 5.0] sharing session and authentication

Posted by Omar Adobati <om...@gmail.com>.
the scenario is the last u said.