Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Joseph Balderson <ne...@joeflash.ca> on 2014/01/23 02:42:30 UTC

O'Reilly Apache Flex book help

Hi all,

The latest news on the Apache Flex book with O'Reilly is that I'm currently in
negotiations with them to have this book made, i.e. "Programming Apache Flex" as
a continuance of that same series. It's taking some convincing to be honest,
because the perception in the tech publishing industry right now is that Flash
and Flex books are a lost leader, and more or less a dead ecosystem.

In response I mentioned to them that since Flex is now truly open source under
Apache, that O'Reilly would be seen to be promoting open source software, which
is very much within their mandate. And that, of course, Flex is not dead; in
fact it has every indication of making somewhat of a comeback, according to the
"word on the street," evidenced by a slow trickle of client work back to Flex,
supported by AIR winning an award at the 2013 CES for "Best Consumer Application
Development Platform for Mobile" (1,2)

However, I may be able to convince O'Reilly to go ahead with a digital-only
version which would minimize their costs. And if they agree to this, I have
offered to waive any fees or royalties associated with the book on my part, to
be considered "my donation" to the Apache Flex community. If O'Reilly breaks
even or even makes a slight profit (and the profit margins on tech books are
insanely low), then the project will stand a chance of going forward, and
waiving my fees might just be what tips the balance. And of course I mentioned
that, wouldn't it be embarrassing when Flex springs back in this next year and
there are no Flex books with the O'Reilly name on it? ;)

We'll see what happens, if O'Reilly accepts my proposal. I understand how
perception is in part largely responsible for driving sales of tech books. But
stakeholders and students are not the only ones who can drive book sales: a
niche community of developers can also do so.

And so I need your help, everyone in the Flex community. I'll need an
experienced tech editor who is willing to help out with this, to donate their
time to the project. And I will need everyone's help in promoting this book when
it comes out, and to buy one, so that O'Reilly can justify the ROI to go ahead
with the project.

This book will be seen as a huge boon to Apache Flex, to prove to all the
managers and stakeholders drinking the HTML5 koolaid, that Flex isn't dead, and
it is very much alive and well.

Thanks all in advance for your support,

Joseph

(1)
http://www.beedigital.net/2014/01/09/air-wins-award-at-ces-for-the-best-mobile-application-product-in-2014/
(2)
http://www.compassintelligence.com/?q=press/compass-intelligence-announces-winners-2014-mobility-awards-wireless-m2m-and-green-technology

Joseph Balderson, Flex & Flash Platform Developer :: http://joeflash.ca
Author, Professional Flex 3 :: http://tinyurl.com/proflex3book

Re: O'Reilly Apache Flex book help

Posted by Joseph Balderson <ne...@joeflash.ca>.
I do not think that will help. Like I said earlier, my agent, who knows anyone
who's anyone in tech publishing, spoke to two senior acquisition editors at
O'Reilly, and forwarded me their reply. They are not interested. O'Reilly is off
the table.

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joseph Balderson <ne...@joeflash.ca>.

Posted by Sugan Naicker <Su...@Dev-X.co.za>.
Hi Nigel,

+1 - Fully agree!

Regards,

Sugan Naicker
South Africa

Posted by Phil <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by mo...@comcast.net.

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

Posted by Angelo Anolin <an...@gmail.com>.
How about LeanPub? Would that be an option?

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

Posted by Joseph Balderson <ne...@joeflash.ca>.
These days, if you want to get on Amazon, you need to be with a major publisher.
If it were a work of fiction I'd say sure, self-publish, and let it coast on
buzz. Having had experience with publishers, I can categorically state that
going with a major publisher is not just about distribution of paper books: how
often and how recently a tech is published in books is directly related to the
perception of the relevance of that technology.

So an Apache Flex book is more than just a reference manual: this book needs to
be a statement to the world that Flex isn't dead, that it is still very much
alive and kicking, to show all the doubters that they were wrong, and that the
move to Apache was a step forward, not backwards.

And for that we need the reputation, the reach and the distribution of a major
publisher. So self-publishing is self-defeating to that purpose, because it says
to the world that Flex is no longer prime time, which is not the message we
should be sending.

I have a list of publishers and an excellent agent who knows everyone who's
everyone in tech publishing. I'll find a publisher who's willing to do this. And
with everyone's help, it will be a huge success for the community and for the
publisher.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Joseph Balderson <ne...@joeflash.ca>.
It's a nice idea, but, different projects, different O'Reilly managers,
different policies. It's been made clear to me by two senior acquisition staff
members at O'Reilly that they are simply not interested in a Flex book of any
kind at this time, there wasn't even an opening for negotiation. Unfortunate --
but then, O'Reilly's loss will be another publisher's gain, won't it?

An O'Reilly book was my first choice because of its reputation and its reach, so
it would have been a huge win for Apache Flex. And there are still the other
major publishers: Wrox, Wiley, Peachpit, Manning, Apress, all of which I plan to
pursue. The book idea isn't dead by a long shot, just the O'Reilly one.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Joseph Balderson <ne...@joeflash.ca> wrote:

> Well, I just heard back from O'Reilly. And unfortunately they're not
> interested
> in publishing an Apache Flex book of any kind, because their official
> position
> is that "We're not interested in publishing titles that we feel don't have
> significant market demand. Flex falls into this category."
>
> We know differently of course, but you can't blame O'Reilly for responding
> market perception. I guess this book exemplifies somewhat of a
> chicken-and-the-egg scenario: to some extent we need the book to show the
> world
> that Flex isn't dead (far from it), but we can't get one published (from
> O'Reilly at least) until the perception is that it is very much alive.
> Hopefully
> other more progressive publishers will see things differently.
>
> I'm currently pursuing my contacts with other publishers. I'll let you all
> know
> how that works out.

Joe, thanks for being so dedicated to put out a book on Apache Flex!

For future reference, here are some stats about Apache Flex's popularity:

* Close to 1 Million page views (770K+ unique views) of the
flex.apache.orgwebsite in less than a year [1]
* More than 250K unique visitors in under a year [1]
* More than 32K unique installs of the Apache Flex SDK in the past 9 months
[breakdown available on demand]
* Apache Flex blog has been consistently featured in the top 5 most visited
blogs of the Apache Software Foundation [2]

These stats should be a good starting point to say that Flex is not dead.

Hope this helps.  Do let us know if you need more detailed stats, I can
hook you up with a read-only account of flex.apache.org's Google Analytics
account.

Thanks,
Om

[1] http://www.seethestats.com/site/flex.apache.org
[2] http://blogs.apache.org/

Posted by Joseph Balderson <ne...@joeflash.ca>.

Posted by bobk544 <bo...@yahoo.com>.
Hello, yes i would very interested in a book on "Programming Apache Flex"
after seeing this youtube on how WebFilings is using FLEX:
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2011-develop/case-study-webfilings-a-cloudpowered-innovative-enterprise-application/
And I found out last week that WebFilings is using FLEX to generate our
agencies 10Ks, 10Qs & XBRL reports and I think if FLEX can handle this kind
of financial reporting on the WEB, it definitely has a lot of great
potential.
I’m also hoping that FLEX might be able to evolve to the capability to
convert MXML to JS or even Objective-C, just based on what I’m seeing is
possible from this XMLVM initiative:
http://xmlvm.org/overview/

Re: O'Reilly Apache Flex book help

Posted by Sumudu Chinthaka <cs...@gmail.com>.
Great Work Guys, Ill definitely pre order a copy

thanks
Sumudu

Posted by Mathieu St-Gelais <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi. As a software engineer with five years of Flex experience, and a "not
bad at all almost-reusable" Flex mobile software architecture (that I'll
show you guys someday), I'd be really happy to help in the tech review, or
any other way you see fit.

I'm trying to find some ways to promote Flex as I think it's still the only
true  multiplatform mobile solution. That book would truly be a good start
in this"quest".

Let me know if you think I can help.

Matt
On Jan 22, 2014 9:56 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > You'll do fine, Justin. As long as you're willing to put in the time to
> read and
> > double-read the entire book (usually as it's written chapter by chapter)
> OK I'm in - but that shouldn't stop other people from wanting to help out
> as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Re: O'Reilly Apache Flex book help

Posted by fl...@dfguy.us.
I would just like to comment that I have followed the flash platform closely for years and have always just enjoyed doing work with it. As it improved while I was getting my degree years ago and grew my professional experience I was always very happy and excited about it. I was just really digging into flex and combining it with serious enterprise applications in a massive company in a perfectly logical and appropriate way with all kinds of opportunity when all of this ridiculous flash madness was unleashed on everyone. I have continued to study the platform and follow things even after Adobe literally shot itself in the foot for whatever bizarre reasons it had. I'm very happy to see things continuing positively at Apache. Perhaps this is what needed to happen in order for the platform to work with enterprise given Adobes focus more on graphics and gaming given their target audience of creatives or whatever it is that is going on with them.

I wrote a personal project using Apache flex mobile and it works great! I was able to write a few simple pop we services and flex literally just eats json data and does what you want! It's great! If there was a way to just trick or force Adobe to support their own dang platform I wish I could do that lol!

David

Posted by Diogo Vieira <di...@gmail.com>.
Excelent news....

+1 for pre order!!!

Att,
Diogo.

Posted by Joseph Balderson <ne...@joeflash.ca>.

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Mathieu St-Gelais <ma...@gmail.com>.
Chris: that would be awesome!

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de

RE: AW: O'Reilly Apache Flex book help

Posted by Miguel Ferreira <mi...@hotmail.com>.
That would be great!
+1 for pre order
But, as we can see topics exists in quantity!

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by John Gardiner <jw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arne Broedel <ar...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Patel Amit <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joseph Balderson <ne...@joeflash.ca>.

Posted by "a00s@a00s.com" <a0...@a00s.com>.
Hi

Posted by Joseph Balderson <ne...@joeflash.ca>.
Thanks Justin.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Joseph Balderson <ne...@joeflash.ca>.
You'll do fine, Justin. As long as you're willing to put in the time to read and
double-read the entire book (usually as it's written chapter by chapter), and
you have an eye for technical detail (which I figure you do ;), you don't need
traditional editing experience. I've tech edited several books myself, what's
required is a knowledgeable person who knows the tech looking out for errata
before the book goes to press. All I need to know is if you can spare the time.

Posted by Angelo Anolin <an...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to be involved in any way possible.

I've just completed a small end to end business app for a client using flex
and although I admit that I have to dive deeper into Flex, contributing to
the book would facilitate a lot of learning on my part.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Joseph Balderson <ne...@joeflash.ca>.
Thanks Justin, you're hired! :) Note that I'll need an official "tech editor",
responsible for tech proofreading the entire book, and you'll get a credit
listing. Are you up for that?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Joseph Balderson <ne...@joeflash.ca>.
It might... I'll mention to O'Reilly that people in the community are willing to
pre-order if that helps the book go forward :)

I'll keep you posted.

Posted by Mark Fuqua <ma...@availdata.com>.