Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/25 08:25:50 UTC

Bugzilla open tasks by year

Hi everybody,

since we have around 1700 bugs opened in bugzilla (that is impressive for a
project that have been triaging and supporting users for so many years, so
kudos!) I tried to break down them for last modified/update year:

  16 2004
  24 2005
  34 2006
  60 2007
  80 2018
  82 2008
 109 2010
 110 2009
 122 2011  (subtotal up to here: 637)
 160 2015
 161 2016
 174 2014
 175 2012
 184 2013
 232 2017

As hackathon project it could be good to review some of those
older-than-2011 tasks and see which ones are good to keep and which ones
can be closed for no-activity/stale/not-valid-anymore/etc..

Luca

Re: Bugzilla open tasks by year

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 11:50 AM, Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > As hackathon project it could be good to review some of those
>> > older-than-2011 tasks and see which ones are good to keep and which ones can
>> > be closed for no-activity/stale/not-valid-anymore/etc..
>>
>> Good idea.  Deal collectively with some of those judgement-calls that
>> stump a solo bug-blitz.
>>
>> What we perhaps also need is a review of our bugzilla categories and
>> workflow.
>> For example, sometimes a PR is submitted with a proposed patch likely to
>> be useful
>> for some but not appropriate for inclusion in standard HTTPD.  I’ve always
>> left those
>> open, which leaves them as not-bugs in the bugzilla count.  Maybe we could
>> deal
>> with those with a new RESOLVED category (RESOLVED-PATCH?) and update the
>> docs to invite users to search patch-bugs?
>>

> We could also use http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/patches/ to collect
> those, and then link them in bugzilla closing the task (one should be able
> to find them if searching etc...). Those patches would get stale very soon
> though, so not sure what's best; ideally a patch is either accepted or not,
> and the correspondent task eventually closed to avoid polluting whoever is
> triaging/resolving the open ones :)

Because these are not "published" by httpd (due to not being appropriate),
the /dist/httpd/ tree is very problematic.

If a patches tree of "interesting things under consideration" is needed, that
would fit better under the httpd.a.o/dev/ tree.

Re: Bugzilla open tasks by year

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.
> As hackathon project it could be good to review some of those older-than-2011 tasks and see which ones are good to keep and which ones can be closed for no-activity/stale/not-valid-anymore/etc..

Good idea.  Deal collectively with some of those judgement-calls that stump a solo bug-blitz.

What we perhaps also need is a review of our bugzilla categories and workflow.
For example, sometimes a PR is submitted with a proposed patch likely to be useful
for some but not appropriate for inclusion in standard HTTPD.  I’ve always left those
open, which leaves them as not-bugs in the bugzilla count.  Maybe we could deal
with those with a new RESOLVED category (RESOLVED-PATCH?) and update the
docs to invite users to search patch-bugs?

—
Nick Kew