Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org> on 2006/01/11 21:50:54 UTC

Re: [Db-derby Wiki] Update of "DerbyDevActivities" by SatheeshBandaram

If you want the Jira links to be actual links, here is what I do.

[http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-573 DERBY-573]

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Satheesh Bandaram wrote:

> I already did that... You are seeing my intermediate results... I kept
> saving in the middle, old habit.
>
> Here is my first version of active developments as I have noticed. I
> know there are some more that I have missed. Before I continue further,
> any comments on the format?

Maybe the table could be broken into two, (visible & useful) features
and internal improvements. Features provide the impetus for issuing a
new release. No user visible features means there's probably not much
point doing a release.

For example, I would say JDBC 4.0 stubs and code sharing are not
features, so they would not be a reason to do a release.

Dan.

Re: [Db-derby Wiki] Update of "DerbyDevActivities" by SatheeshBandaram

Posted by "Dag H. Wanvik" <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Bernt> > Here is my first version of active developments as I have noticed. I know there
Bernt> > are some more that I have missed. Before I continue further, any comments on
Bernt> > the format?
Bernt> >
Bernt> > http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDevActivities
Bernt>
Bernt> A very nice overview. Especially as an addition to Jira and as a
Bernt> gateway into Jira.

I agree, thanks!

Bernt>
Bernt> BUT: I think its equally (or more) important that we take full
Bernt> advantage of Jira too. The most important one is to set Jira issues
Bernt> being worked on to "In progress".

Updated both Wiki and state to "in progress" for SUR (DERBY-690, DERBY-775).
Updated Wiki for DERBY-100.

Dag

Re: [Db-derby Wiki] Update of "DerbyDevActivities" by SatheeshBandaram

Posted by Satheesh Bandaram <sa...@Sourcery.Org>.
Hi Bernt,

Bernt M. Johnsen wrote:

>A very nice overview. Especially as an addition to Jira and as a
>gateway into Jira.
>
>BUT: I think its equally (or more) important that we take full
>advantage of Jira too. The most important one is to set Jira issues
>being worked on to "In progress".

Right... I agree JIRA process should be used correctly. This Wiki page
is created more to drive towards a release and to consolidate all
activities close to a release.

May be it is time we start talking about release schedule for 10.2. Dan
mentioned something about March. Does that work for everyone? We have
been attempting to make a release around 6 months and it would be great
to continue that model.

For the last release, I noticed some features were checked in almost at
the end of the agreed timeframe. I propose we attempt to checkin ALL
features at least 2 weeks before agreed timeframe for 10.2. We haven't
picked a date yet.

Satheesh

Re: [Db-derby Wiki] Update of "DerbyDevActivities" by SatheeshBandaram

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Satheesh Bandaram wrote:

>One of the issues I see is that 'In progress' doesn't indicate when the
>feature/bug might be addressed. This makes it hard to plan and drive to
>a release, especially with partial checkin model being followed. Just my
>concerns.

Jira also has a "Due Date"  field which might be useful  if folks want
to share their time goals.
I think we should always be prepared to cut a release.  Partial checkins
should not affect existing supported  functionality.
If  someone wants to start a release,  things not close ready  would
have to catch the next train.

Kathey

Re: [Db-derby Wiki] Update of "DerbyDevActivities" by SatheeshBandaram

Posted by Satheesh Bandaram <sa...@Sourcery.Org>.

Posted by "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Be...@Sun.COM>.
> Bernt M. Johnsen wrote:
>
> > BUT: I think its equally (or more) important that we take full
> > advantage of Jira too. The most important one is to set Jira issues
> > being worked on to "In progress".
>
> In an open source project is there any difference between a jira entry
> being assigned and being in progress? I would hope people only assign
> themselves issues if they are working on it.

Well, first of all. Jira has a nice link called "In Progress" in the
browse-project-page (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY) and
it does not have any "open and assigned" link.

Secondly, "assigned" is not an an issue status in while "in progress"
is.

Thirdly, I think that people should assign to an issue which they
seriously intend to work with and set it to "in progress" when they
are actually working on it (which of course ussually should be at the
same time, but not always).

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway

Re: [Db-derby Wiki] Update of "DerbyDevActivities" by SatheeshBandaram

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Be...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Satheesh Bandaram <sa...@Sourcery.Org>.
I applied all suggestions. Let me know if any more changes are required.

    http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDevActivities

It would be great if everyone can take a minute to update the page.

Satheesh

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Satheesh Bandaram wrote:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>

>>Do we need the contributor column? I think we found from the similar
>>column in the old to-do list that it encouraged direct e-mails to the
>>contact listed.
>>
>>Dan.
>>

> I can remove it, but I thought since this list is for short-term use, to
> help plan for immediate release, I thought that might be useful.

I'm curious how do you think it would be useful?

Posted by Satheesh Bandaram <sa...@Sourcery.Org>.

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>Do we need the contributor column? I think we found from the similar
>column in the old to-do list that it encouraged direct e-mails to the
>contact listed.
>
>Dan.

I can remove it, but I thought since this list is for short-term use, to
help plan for immediate release, I thought that might be useful. I was
thinking of removing all these projects once 10.2 release is done and
start a new one for 10.3 sometime later.

I have no preference either way. Let me know if you still want me to
remove it.

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.