Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Adam Katz <an...@khopis.com> on 2011/05/16 22:54:10 UTC

Re: [SA-dev] Updating debian build directory?

First, I'm a big Debian fan.  If we're including the RPM stuff, we
should include the DEB stuff.  I agree with Darxus in that it is indeed
quite useful and doesn't create clutter or wasted bits since it is in
its own well-marked directory and is very small.

That said, its presence in our releases implies WE are supporting it.
While I would prefer it stay, I have to ultimately agree with Mark (who
happens to also be the FreeBSD package maintainer) when he said:

> The package maintainers know their job and their distribution most
> intimately and should have a full jurisdiction over their packaging.

We have the RPM information in our source tree.  We also have one of the
Fedora (upstream -1) packagers with commit permissions (Warren).  If he
is willing to keep it in sync, we can keep it.  Otherwise, it will grow
stale and should therefore be pruned (or at least marked as such).
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/spamassassin

We have the DEB pieces in our source tree too, though Noah Meyerhans,
the Debian (upstream -1) maintainer is not an SA developer.  Duncan
Findley is both a Debian and SA developer, but seems dormant in both.
I'm behind the ball in my plan to get Debian developer status.  Based on
this, we should probably remove the debian directory.
http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/spamassassin.html

The clutter point is well taken too; even assuming another sufficiently
popular system has a similarly small and segregated footprint and a
maintainer willing to sync things up, there's the question of how
valuable it is.  RPM and DEB are special cases because of large number
of derivatives that pull from Fedora or Debian in addition to the
non-derivatives that go direct, like Mandriva, SUSE, and Fink (OS X).

Re: [SA-dev] Updating debian build directory?

Posted by Daniel McDonald <da...@austinenergy.com>.

On 5/16/11 4:46 PM, "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com> wrote:

>> That would prevent the create-package-from-tarball scripts from functioning,
> Can you elaborate on this statement?  How would a contrib directory
> break something?  Is it because they would see the existing .deb file
> (for example) in a subdirectory?

No, because the packaging files are looking in specific directories.  For
example, rpmbuild -ta looks inside the tarball in the ./redhat directory for
a .spec file, and uses that to create an rpm.  If the .spec is in a
different directory, then rpmbuild -ta won't find it. The user would then
need to manually unpack the tarball, dig through the contrib directory,
massage the .spec and re-pack the tarball in the format that rpmbuild is
expecting.

At that point, it's easier to grab a .spec file from a known good src rpm,
make the two or three edits required for a new version, and run rpmbuild -ba

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281

Re: [SA-dev] Updating debian build directory?

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
> That would prevent the create-package-from-tarball scripts from functioning,
Can you elaborate on this statement?  How would a contrib directory
break something?  Is it because they would see the existing .deb file
(for example) in a subdirectory?
> and would be the least desirable of all solutions.  My preference would be
> to discard Debian and RedHat directories completely and let the package
> maintainers do their own job.
I don't disagree but I'd like to see something that makes everyone happy
if possible.

Regards,
KAM

Re: [SA-dev] Updating debian build directory?

Posted by Daniel McDonald <da...@austinenergy.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
Darxus,