Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/22 13:42:58 UTC

Continuum and Nightly builds

> I have finished a wagon-maven-plugin for copy the nightly build to
> minotaur.
>
> Where I should put it in the repository?

maybe maven/plugins/myfaces-publish (or whatever the name is for the
plugin).  BTW, bruno wrote a shell script for mrmaven to copy but I
think a plugin is better.  Once you add the plugin can you test it?

> And see my comment

Yes I agree we need an email notifier.  I'm not sure if we have
sendmail/smtp or not on our zone.  I will look into it.

> Bernd

Sean

Re: Continuum and Nightly builds

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
>  Are we using "mvn deploy" to deploy artifacts to minotaur or a custom
> plugin?

A little of both actually.  'mvn deploy' for the jars.  Custom plugin
for the nightly builds (the tarballs.)

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.
Hello,

added a .profile with export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java for Mr Maven and
started continuum with the normal script.

Regards

Bernd

--
Dipl.-Ing. Bernd Bohmann - Atanion GmbH - Software Development
Bismarckstr. 13, 26122 Oldenburg, http://www.atanion.com

Re: Continuum and Nightly builds

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.

> I see the problem now.  The once a day -pgenerate would only run if
> something changed after the hourly build but before the once a day
> build.  You're right.  It should be hourly.
>
> By the way, this just generates the javadoc for the assembly right?
> The site javadoc comes from the maven-javadoc-plugin right?

yes, but is the same plugin.

Bernd

Re: Continuum and Nightly builds

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
On 1/24/06, Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com> wrote:

> > I see what you mean.  Are you sure this is correct?  I would agree
> > with you except I see that the nightly builds ran last night.  Did you
> > (or someone else) manually run them?
> >
> No, the nightly build is forced by the python script invoked by cron.

Well that explains it ;-)

> >>The javadoc is build in the hourly schedule, now.
> >

> > You mean -pgenerate-assembly?  Isn't this only needed for the assembly
> > target (which runs only once a day?)
>
> Yes, but this target would be invoked if something has changed between
> the last build and this build. We should build the javadoc everytime if
> something has changed.

I see the problem now.  The once a day -pgenerate would only run if
something changed after the hourly build but before the once a day
build.  You're right.  It should be hourly.

By the way, this just generates the javadoc for the assembly right?
The site javadoc comes from the maven-javadoc-plugin right?

> >>Yes, or have you seen a "Build without Changes" checkbox?
> >

> > OK I will look at it shortly.  You can add it to the cron yourself
> > right?  (su mrmaven)
>
> already added to cron for the last nighly build :-)

Sounds good.

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.
> I see what you mean.  Are you sure this is correct?  I would agree
> with you except I see that the nightly builds ran last night.  Did you
> (or someone else) manually run them?

No, the nightly build is forced by the python script invoked by cron.

>>The javadoc is build in the hourly schedule, now.
>

> You mean -pgenerate-assembly?  Isn't this only needed for the assembly
> target (which runs only once a day?)

Yes, but this target would be invoked if something has changed between
the last build and this build. We should build the javadoc everytime if
something has changed.

>>Yes, or have you seen a "Build without Changes" checkbox?
>

> OK I will look at it shortly.  You can add it to the cron yourself
> right?  (su mrmaven)

already added to cron for the last nighly build :-)

> Sean

Bernd

Re: Continuum and Nightly builds

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.

Sean Schofield schrieb:

>>We should force a build of all artifacts before the nightly assembly
>>publish. This is maybe implemented in the next version of continuum.
>>Or see you a "Force" or a "Build without Changes" checkbox?
>

> We do this already with the non-tobago projects.  It builds every
> hour.  The assembly is on a separate schedule and runs twenty minutes
> or so after the regular hourly build.  If there is no svn change there
> is no build of course.  Is that a problem?

If there is no svn change there is no build this is the problem.
No new assembly without a change in the assembly module :-(
I see some progress to implement this in the 1.1 continuum release.

The javadoc is build in the hourly schedule, now.

>>Until this is released I wrote a simple python script that force a build
>>of the examples and the assemblies.
>>Can you check the crontab for mrmaven for the right content?
>

> I can check it but I don't think we need it.  Are you sure we need it?

Yes, or have you seen a "Build without Changes" checkbox?

> Sean

Bernd

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
>  Now THAT would be cool. How would this be configured though; would there
> have to be a list of gtalk ID's ? Or would people be able to add their own
> somehow ?

I think each developer would need to add their own.

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Did you restart continuum or did it come up automatically?  I'd be
suprised if it came up automatically because it didn't last time the
zone rebooted (even though I had attempted to set it up as a service.)

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.
Maybe both lists are ok.

The sender address for the notifcation would be

Continuum@myfaces.zones.apache.org <co...@myfaces.apache.org> for

commits@myfaces.apache.org

and

Continuum@myfaces.zones.apache.org <de...@myfaces.apache.org> for

dev@myfaces.apache.org

Can we allow a post for these addresses?

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.
Why dev?

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Also, after we successfully test, we should turn off notifcation
except for failure/error.

Sean

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.
I don't know why they hung.

I removed these modules.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.
Hello Sean,

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.

Posted by John Fallows <jo...@gmail.com>.

Author: Pro JSF and Ajax: Building Rich Internet Components, Apress

Re: Continuum and Nightly builds

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.
> It does not appear to be running as a cron and I don't think Bruno had
> hooked it up to continuum yet.
>
> @Bruno: Can you confirm this?
>

>>Can we send email from the continuum server?
>

> Yes but I don't know if smtp is available from the zone.  I'll look into this.

If you try telnet maven.zones.apache.org 25 a mail server is responding

If you try telnet myfaces.zones.apache.org 25 you don't get a answer.

>>Can bruno remove the old dirs in nightly?
>

> Yes please remove those two dirs that you own Bruno.  They are not
> group writeable so we cannot do it.
>

>>We should build the javadoc and the source artifacts on the continuum
>>server everytime. They must match with the other artifacts in the bin
>>assembly.
>

> I agree.  Your plugin does not create these jars correct?

yes

we should add the profile generate-assembly to the default schedule.
Then we need the schedule for the nightly build only. The other
schedules can removed.

Bernd

Re: Continuum and Nightly builds

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
On 1/22/06, Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com> wrote:
> Ok,
>
> applied all changes to continuum.
>
> The nightly build from a continuum server should work.
>
> See the results in
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/builds/myfaces/nightly/

Looks great!

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.