Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark <ma...@bellsouth.net> on 2002/12/02 16:25:54 UTC

Tomcat Manager won't undeploy

I'm using Tomcat 4.1.12 and can't get the manager 'undeploy' command to
work.  Other mgr commands such as stop, start, remove, list, etc. work, but
not undeploy.  The application is defined in server.xml with context
path="/myapp" docBase="myapp" and lives under webapps/myapp.  Using this
manager command:
     http://localhost:8080/manager/undeploy?path=/myapp

I get the following simple response:
    FAIL - Cannot remove document base for path /myapp

and the Tomcat log shows:
     2002-12-02 10:09:37 Manager: undeploy: Undeploying web application at
'/myapp'

Anyone know what the problem is? I stopped the app first but that doesn't
help.  I searched the archives to no avail. I'm looking at integrating TC
manager functions into our Ant build for a complete clean build/redeploy,
but have hit a wall here.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Re: Tomcat Manager won't undeploy

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Mark wrote:

> Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 10:25:54 -0500
> From: Mark <ma...@bellsouth.net>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Tomcat Manager won't undeploy
>
> I'm using Tomcat 4.1.12 and can't get the manager 'undeploy' command to
> work.  Other mgr commands such as stop, start, remove, list, etc. work, but
> not undeploy.  The application is defined in server.xml with context
> path="/myapp" docBase="myapp" and lives under webapps/myapp.  Using this
> manager command:
>      http://localhost:8080/manager/undeploy?path=/myapp
>
> I get the following simple response:
>     FAIL - Cannot remove document base for path /myapp
>
> and the Tomcat log shows:
>      2002-12-02 10:09:37 Manager: undeploy: Undeploying web application at
> '/myapp'
>
> Anyone know what the problem is? I stopped the app first but that doesn't
> help.  I searched the archives to no avail. I'm looking at integrating TC
> manager functions into our Ant build for a complete clean build/redeploy,
> but have hit a wall here.

You can't use "undeploy" on an app that was listed in server.xml already.
It can only be used on an app where you did a "deploy".  Set up your Ant
build scripts to do the deploy command as well.

(Note -- if you're running Tomcat on your development machine, using
install/remove will run faster than deploy/undeploy.)

> Thanks in advance.
> Mark

Craig