Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by aditi hilbert <ad...@runtime.io> on 2017/05/26 00:55:44 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduation of podling Apache Mynewt to Top Level Project

Hi all,

We feel confident that we pass all the requirements to graduate.  Below is the proposed Graduation Resolution (based on the standard template). Please use this thread if you have any questions, clarifications, or comments about this graduation proposal.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Maturity+model
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Resolution

The full text of the proposed resolution is as follows:

The incubating Apache Mynewt community believes it is time to graduate to TLP.

Apache Mynewt entered incubation in October of 2015.  Since then, we've overcome technical challenges and built Apache's first Operating System for IoT devices, and made 6 releases.  Our most recent releases include NimBLE, OIC1.1 support, MCUbootloader. We are a very helpful and engaged community, ready to answer all questions and feedback directed to us via the user list.  We've added several committers from different organizations, and are actively pursuing others. While we continue working on maturity, all projects are ongoing processes, and we believe we no longer need the incubator to continue.

To inform the discussion, here is some basic project information:

Project status:
  http://incubator.apache.org/projects/Mynewt.html

Project website:
  http://Mynewt.incubator.apache.org/

Project documentation:
 https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Apache+Mynewt+Project

Maturity assessment:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Maturity+model

DRAFT of the board resolution is at the bottom of this email

Proposed PMC size: 20 members

Total number of committers: 20 members

Various PMC/Committer affiliations (* indicated chair)
   Runtime (6)
   Google (1)
   Imagination Technologies (1)
   Codecoup (4)
   Adafruit (1)

4,565 commits on develop
280 closed PR”s on GitHub
39 contributors across all branches
92 forks on Github

dev list averaged ~200 msgs/month in the last one year

647 issues created
465 issues resolved/closed

Resolution:

Establish the Apache Mynewt Project

open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the
public, related to a data management platform that provides
real-time, consistent access to data-intensive applications
throughout widely distributed cloud architectures.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Mynewt Project",
Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Mynewt Project be and hereby is
related to an embedded OS optimized for networking and built for remote management of constrained devices that are incapable of running either Linux or Android.

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Mynewt" be
and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
of the Apache Mynewt Project, and to have primary responsibility
for management of the projects within the scope of
responsibility of the Apache Mynewt Project; and be it further

Apache Mynewt Project:
*Justin Mclean” <jm...@apache.org>
*P. Taylor Goetz” <pt...@apache.org>,
*Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org>,
*Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>,
*Sterling Hughes <st...@apache.org>,
*Marko Kiiskila <ma...@apache.org>,
*will sanfilippo <we...@apache.org>,
Christopher Collins <cc...@apache.org>,
Vipul Rahane <vi...@apache.org>,
Fabio Utzig <ut...@apache.org>,
Andrzej Kaczmarek <an...@apache.org>,
Michał Narajowski <na...@apache.org>,
Szymon Janc <ja...@apache.org>,
Łukasz Rymanowski <ry...@apache.org>,
Neel Natu <ne...@apache.org>,
Peter Snyder <pe...@apache.org>,
Paul Dietrich <paulfdietrich@apache.org,
Julian Ingram <ju...@apache.org>,
Kevin Townsend <kt...@apache.org>,
Aditi Hilbert <ad...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Justin Mcclean
be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Mynewt, to
serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Mynewt PMC be and hereby is
tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
encourage open development and increased participation in the
Apache Mynewt Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Mynewt Project be and hereby
Incubator Mynewt podling; and be it further

Incubator Mynewt podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation of podling Apache Mynewt to Top Level Project

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On the general topic of whether or not MyNewt is ready, I think,
and would/will vote, YES!

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation of podling Apache Mynewt to Top Level Project

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Justin Mcclean
> be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Mynewt

It’s Mclean not Mcclean unless there’s another Justin on the project I don’t know about :-)

Thanks,
Justin

Re : Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation of podling Apache Mynewt to Top Level Project

Posted by Contact & support <co...@iot-builders.com>.
unsubscribe
Ha! :)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Ha! :)

Posted by Sheela Kiiskila <sh...@runtime.io>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by aditi hilbert <ad...@runtime.io>.
Hi Justin,

> On May 25, 2017, at 6:09 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Project status:
>> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/Mynewt.html
>
> The URL is case sensitive and needs to be http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mynewt.htm.  There a few dates that need to be updated there I’ll try to get to that in the next day.

Thanks for the correction. And yes, that page needs to be updated. The list of Committers is also not complete. The full list is in the resolution.

>> Various PMC/Committer affiliations (* indicated chair)
>> Runtime (6)
>> Google (1)
>> Imagination Technologies (1)
>> Codecoup (4)
>> Adafruit (1)
>
> Just a minor thing the numbers here don’t total with the number of PMC members below and I’m not sure what "* indicated chair” means. I guess that’s me and you need to add "Class Software (1)*”?

Yes, will add that. Some are independent consultants and not affiliated with any organization. It was not meant to be exhaustive but indicative of the diversity of affiliations. Is that good enough or we can get the info from the remaining committers.

>> RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
>> hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
>> Apache Mynewt Project:
>> *Justin Mclean” <jm...@apache.org>
>> *P. Taylor Goetz” <pt...@apache.org>,
>
> Why do some name have * in front of them. ASF members?

They are the initial committers in the Podling. Actually, I should have a star too :) OK, will need to fix this.

Do I need to send a new [VOTE] thread with the revisions? Or just do the corrections before sending out to general@ ?

> Thanks,
> Justin

thanks,
aditi

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation of podling Apache Mynewt to Top Level Project

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,