Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2014/09/15 21:14:31 UTC

FOSDEM 2015 devroom proposal: Apache OpenOffice (or joint "OpenDocument Editors" devroom)

(sent on behalf of the Apache OpenOffice PMC: http://s.apache.org/ZDs ;
CCing Italo and Thorsten since you may have received a very similar
proposal from them, but we didn't manage to coordinate in time to
respect the deadline)

* Devroom name:

Apache OpenOffice [or: joint "OpenDocument Editors" devroom]

* Description

Apache OpenOffice, formerly known as OpenOffice.org, is one of the
most popular Free and Open Source software projects. A Top Level
Project at the Apache Software Foundation since October 2012,
OpenOffice reached 100 million downloads in less than two years.
OpenOffice is developed by a large and diverse community, including
full-time and part-time core developers, translators, testers, user
experience experts, documentation contributors, developers of
third-party extensions and templates.

* Project URLs
- http://www.openoffice.org
- http://openoffice.apache.org

* Preferred day: Saturday or Sunday
- Saturday

* Why should FOSDEM accept this proposal?

The OpenOffice project is seeing an increasing stream of new
volunteers who want to help with code development, and who manage
to successfully solve simple issues and move to more complex
contributions.

An Apache OpenOffice devroom would allow existing volunteers to meet
and discuss future developments, and users and potential new
volunteers to learn how they can help the project, thanks to
presentations and hacking sessions spanning a broad range of topics.

A joint "ODF editors" devroom like the one organized at FOSDEM 2014
would allow a productive exchange of ideas with other Free and Open
Source editors using OpenDocument as their native format. The
experience of 2014 can definitely be repeated in 2015.

As for OpenOffice, topics that may be interesting for FOSDEM 2015
include: the new automated testing framework; improvements to the
localization process; the new OOXML import filter; the progress in
ODF 1.2 support.

Best regards,
   Andrea Pescetti - Apache OpenOffice PMC.

Re: [FOSDEM-Devrooms] FOSDEM 2015 devroom proposal: Apache OpenOffice (or joint "OpenDocument Editors" devroom)

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 16/09/2014 Gerry Demaret wrote:
> On 09/15/2014 09:14 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> * Devroom name:
>> Apache OpenOffice [or: joint "OpenDocument Editors" devroom]
> Like last year, I would like to propose to merge both under a devroom
> around "OpenDocument Editors".
> Consider this message as the acknowledgment of both proposals. We will
> be in touch in due course if we accept it!

The FOSDEM 2015 devroom has been confirmed today.

It will work like last year, with a call for talks due in some weeks,
submissions due around the end of December and selections due in the
first days of January.

Other responsibilities will include planning promotional materials and
actually attending FOSDEM in Brussels on 31 January and 1 February 2015.

I would be very happy if someone could volunteer for some of the tasks
above, since I won't have much time available in the coming months and I
could definitely use help. Just reply to this message in case.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [FOSDEM-Devrooms] FOSDEM 2015 devroom proposal: Apache OpenOffice (or joint "OpenDocument Editors" devroom)

Posted by Gerry Demaret <ge...@fosdem.org>.
On 09/15/2014 09:14 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> (sent on behalf of the Apache OpenOffice PMC: http://s.apache.org/ZDs ;
> CCing Italo and Thorsten since you may have received a very similar
> proposal from them, but we didn't manage to coordinate in time to
> respect the deadline)
>
> * Devroom name:
>
> Apache OpenOffice [or: joint "OpenDocument Editors" devroom]

Hi Andrea, Thorsten,

We did indeed receive a separate proposal from Thorsten.

Like last year, I would like to propose to merge both under a devroom
around "OpenDocument Editors".

Consider this message as the acknowledgment of both proposals. We will
be in touch in due course if we accept it!

Best wishes,

Gerry