Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Todd Kuebler <tk...@cisco.com> on 2003/10/08 23:03:23 UTC

Re: Database application howto?

Hi Zufeng,

My opinion, there are undoubtedly others:

I am not a big fan of Torque for even simple db applications.  Just use
jdbc, it's not like writing sql is hard or anything.  If your application
warrants it you can use EJBs instead.  There are other object/db mapping
tools like Object Bridge that do this better than torque _if_ your object
model and db schema don't have too big an impedance miss-match.

I would recommend using connection pooling at the infrastructure level via
jndi, that way it is completely out of the application domain and
universally managed for everyone on your app server.   We also found some
serious scaling and performance issues with Torque and switched away from
using it even inside of jetspeed, your mileage my vary of course.

For the transactional stuff EJBs come to mind as the obvious J2EE
approach  ( as long as your transaction needs fit into the flat
transaction/OTS model).

-tk