Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/11 19:23:36 UTC

Starting a SystemML 0.9 release

I would like to volunteer as RM for the next SystemML release, which I
propose we call it 0.9.

I was planning to start the process later today, unless there is any
blocking issue that folks are working on and would like to get it in before
the release.

Let's use this thread to coordinate any issues needed for the release.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: Starting a SystemML 0.9 release

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 8:41 PM, Matthias Boehm <mb...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> In my opinion, our release process takes too long but that's ok for the
> second release - we just need to improve upon it. Instead of waiting for
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-11084,
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-11084> I would suggest to
> create a branch for 0.9 and move on. This would also be useful for pure
> maintenance releases we want to do. So maybe we could make this a general
> policy. Any objections?
>
> Regards,
> Matthias

Most of the wait time on the release is either waiting for other jiras to
get fixed or for infra issues, as the release process is very quick.
Anyway, branch 0.9 created....

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-systemml.git

Posted by Matthias Boehm <mb...@us.ibm.com>.
In my opinion, our release process takes too long but that's ok for the
second release - we just need to improve upon it. Instead of waiting for
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-11084, I would suggest to
create a branch for 0.9 and move on. This would also be useful for pure
maintenance releases we want to do. So maybe we could make this a general
policy. Any objections?

Regards,
Matthias

From:	Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>
To:	dev@systemml.incubator.apache.org
Date:	01/15/2016 01:52 PM
Subject:	Re: Starting a SystemML 0.9 release

Regarding the documentation, if analytics_on in docs/_config.yml is set to
false when jekyll is run, then analytics is not added to the rendered HTML,
which would probably be a good idea for docs in a packaged release (if the
documentation site is packaged with the release).
Additionally, SYSTEMML_VERSION in docs/_config.yml sets the SystemML
version references in the rendered HTML, so it should be set to 0.9 when
docs are generated for a release.

Deron

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> If docs are included in the release distributions, it would be nice if
> they were the generated (mostly) HTML documentation in docs/_site after
> running jekyll. This would give users a complete set of documentation for
> the release. This includes the aforementioned Algorithms Reference pdf
and
> all of the documentation currently available online.
>
> Deron
>

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Luciano,
>>
>> WRT docs, it would be nice to have a snapshot of the generated
>> documentation site (like http://apache.github.io/incubator-systemml/).
>> This allows a historical display of documentation similar to Spark (
>> http://spark.apache.org/documentation.html). If that is available
>> online, is it necessary to package the Algorithms Reference PDF or
README

*http://researcher.watson.ibm.com/researcher/view.php?person=us-npansar*

*https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYSTEMML-376?jql=project%20%3D%20SYSTEMML%20AND%20status%20in%20%28Resolved%2C%20Closed%29%20AND%20created%20%3E%3D%202015-10-27*

<mboehm@us.ibm.com

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luciano,

From: Mike Dusenberry <du...@gmail.com>
To: dev@systemml.incubator.apache.org
Date: 01/14/2016 06:49 PM
Subject: Re: Starting a SystemML 0.9 release

<lu...@gmail.com>

Posted by Niketan Pansare <np...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi all,

From:	Mike Dusenberry <du...@gmail.com>
To:	dev@systemml.incubator.apache.org
Date:	01/14/2016 06:49 PM
Subject:	Re: Starting a SystemML 0.9 release

Posted by Mike Dusenberry <du...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Boehm <mb...@us.ibm.com>.
great - thanks everybody. Let's get these two fixes in and close the
release. Until that point, please no new features. The version number 0.9
is fine with me since it's not really a pure maintenance release as many
new features went in too. Down the road, however, we need to think about
release branches.

Regards,
Matthias

From:	Mike Dusenberry <du...@gmail.com>
To:	dev@systemml.incubator.apache.org
Date:	01/11/2016 10:47 AM
Subject:	Re: Starting a SystemML 0.9 release

Hi Luciano,

I'd like to commit SYSTEMML-217, which should be done today, as part of the
0.9 release.

- Mike

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 10:35 AM Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Luciano,
>
> In the JIRA comments, Matthias asked yesterday if I could commit a fix
for
> SYSTEMML-330 before the release. I am looking at it now. Since it needs
> be coded and tested, I probably don't think I would be ready today.
Perhaps

--
Mike Dusenberry
GitHub: github.com/dusenberrymw