Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Marián Konček <mk...@redhat.com> on 2019/09/25 11:22:43 UTC

apache-ivy bundles source without mentioning it in LICENSE

The file
apache-ivy-2.5.0-rc1/src/java/org/apache/ivy/plugins/repository/ssh/Scp.java
mentions that it uses a copy-pasted class from the ganymed
(http://www.ganymed.ethz.ch/ssh2/) library, which is licensed under 3-BSD.

This is not mentioned in the LICENSE nor NOTICE files. Even though your
version somewhat deviated I believe it should be mentioned there.

Thanks.

--

Marián Konček

Re: apache-ivy bundles source without mentioning it in LICENSE

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2019-09-25, Marián Konček wrote:

> The file
> apache-ivy-2.5.0-rc1/src/java/org/apache/ivy/plugins/repository/ssh/Scp.java
> mentions that it uses a copy-pasted class from the ganymed
> (http://www.ganymed.ethz.ch/ssh2/) library, which is licensed under
> 3-BSD.

> This is not mentioned in the LICENSE nor NOTICE files. Even though
> your version somewhat deviated I believe it should be mentioned there.

Thank you for pointing that out Marián, this somehow slipped through the
legal review that has been part of Ivy's incubation. I hope it is the
only oversight and I've rectified that in master.

The file has been part of (at least) Ivy 1.4.1 which falls into the time
frame (2006) where ganymed was still an active project of ETH Zurich, so
I used their license file rather than the one used later at
https://github.com/hudson/ganymed-ssh-2

Many thanks, again

     Stefan