Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2008/08/15 20:40:03 UTC

IPR for Base64OutputStream

Hi all,

In a recent commit to Apache JAMES Mime4J I introduced a
Base64OutputStream released from your project (Apache MyFaces Trinidad).

I referenced the source in the svn commit and I added a line to the
source file header saying "This class has been copied from Apache
MyFaces Trinidad 1.2.8"

I see the NOTICE for the ASF MyFaces Trinidad package I downloaded to
get the Base64OutputStream.java file include this:
-------------
Portions of this software were originally based on the following:

  - software copyright (c) 2000-2006, Oracle Corp, <http://www.oracle.com/>.
and are licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under the
"Software Grant and Corporate Contribution License Agreement"
-------------

I tried to understand if the Base64OutputStream was from this
grant/contribution or not, but I can only find this:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/myfaces/trinidad/trunk/trinidad-api/src/main/java/org/apache/myfaces/trinidad/util/Base64OutputStream.java?revision=404824&view=markup
and the original incubated code:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/adffaces/trunk/adf-faces/adf-faces-api/src/main/java/org/apache/myfaces/adf/util/Base64OutputStream.java?revision=404824&view=markup&pathrev=404824

The first version of the NOTICE file is newer than the import above and
already includes the Oracle reference:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/myfaces/trinidad/trunk/NOTICE.txt?revision=466284&view=markup

 From my understanding (also scanning markmail for "Oracle" +
"Trinidad") Oracle contributed minor parts of the code (mainly message
bundle translations and a portlet-bridge code.. but MyFaces team
included a generic reference to Oracle in the main NOTICE.

Looking in trinidad-1.2.8-src-all.zip java files I see many of them have
a version header  with an "oracle" reference in the path:
-----
@version $Name:  $ ($Revision:
adfrt/faces/adf-faces-api/src/test/java/oracle/adf/view/faces/convert/ConverterTestCase.java#0
$) $Date: 17-oct-2005.16:28:54 $
------

The Base64OutputStream is not one of them.

It would be wonderful if Apache MyFaces Trinidad could tell us if the
Base64OutputStream was part of the Oracle contribution or not, so we
know if we have to add Oracle in our product notice, too, or not.

For ASF reusability issues it would also be cool if the NOTICE gave more
details on what are the "Portions" involved in the grant.

Thank you very much,
Stefano

Re: IPR for Base64OutputStream

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
I just want to "up" this one, as we have a release VOTE pending for this
issue.

Our PMC would really appreciate if someone can give an answer to this.

Apologize for the double message but our release manager is going to
kill me ;-) if I vote down his work and I'm still hoping you'll tell me
Oracle is not involved in that class.

Thank you,
Stefano

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
For those that are interested in this discussion... the thread is now
on the legal list...

-M

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi,