Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2006/11/19 22:07:22 UTC

About to start integrating new I/O code into trunk

At Norman's request, I'm not going to integrate my revised I/O handling code
into the handlerapi2 branch.  He'd prefer to discard that branch and start
over from the trunk code, after I integrate the revised I/O handling.

Amusingly, after working on it for some time and having it working, I
rewrote the entire core of it yesterday, based upon the experiences from the
prior versions.

In any event, I'm starting that process now.  Hope it works ...

	--- Noel

Re: About to start integrating new I/O code into trunk

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> Can you open a JIRA issue and attach the file to JIRA?
>
> Was thinking that there might already be one, but I didn't notice it
> yesterday when I was looking for it.
>
> 	--- Noel

AFAIK we have:

JAMES-355 - API to the SMTP Server
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-355

JAMES-549 - Refactoring SMTPHandler to allow better integration of more
the one class per command
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-549

Feel free to decide wether to keep using them or create a specific issue.

Stefano

RE: About to start integrating new I/O code into trunk

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Attached is a raw, unvarnished, PoC:

  IODemo:   test application
  IOSender: sends data to a port (IODemo should listen)

  IOHandler: basic interface for what to do with input
  CommandDispatcher: normal I/O handler, dispatches commands

  CommandHandler: interface for a command
  ShowAttributes: simple command
  SetAttribute:   DATA-like commmand with nested IOHandler

  IOSession: encapsulates the I/O handling process
  CRLFDelimitedByteBuffer: queue of CRLF-terminated lines

To play:

   javac *.java
   java -cp . IODemo <port> &
   java -cp . IOSender <port>

CRLFDelimitedByteBuffer drops in; the rest is largely discarded with some
bits and pieces merged with existing code.

	--- Noel