Posted to dev@community.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2017/01/01 21:38:45 UTC

RE: What happened to the Apache Labs

[orcmid]

I can't answer about the quiet.

I suggest you review the bylaws at <http://labs.apache.org/bylaws.html>.

Three factors stand out:

 1. It is not permissible to create releases from a lab.
 2. There is sharing of a single SVN repository, <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/labs/>.
 3. The Labs PMC decides on the state of a lab and whether it is time to take it into the incubator or elsewhere.

Also, there appears to be a single JIRA project, LABS, with an [informal?] naming technique to identify individual-lab issues.

Raphael, I'm curious how that contrasts with creating a public GitHub project providing open-source code under the Apache License 2.0 and manages its codebase in compliance with what the ASF requires of a project (e.g., NOTICE files and acceptable licenses on dependencies).

 - Dennis