Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Norris Shelton <no...@yahoo.com> on 2007/05/16 14:21:19 UTC

Downloading javadoc and source

Is there any plan to allow IVY to download the source and javadoc for dependencies like Maven does?

Norris Shelton
Software Engineer
Sun Certified Java 1.1 Programmer
Shelton Consulting, LLC
ICQ# 26487421
AIM NorrisEShelton
YIM norrisshelton

____________________________________________________________________________________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.

Re: Downloading javadoc and source

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 5/16/07, Norris Shelton <no...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there any plan to allow IVY to download the source and javadoc for
> dependencies like Maven does?

It depends on what you mean by 'allow'. Ivy is able to download the
artifacts you want, all you have to do is declare them. The problem is with
maven 2 pom, we don't have the meta information about if a source and
javadoc artifact is present or not, so we assume they are not, otherwise Ivy
would complain about a missing artifact. OTOH in latest IvyDE we have
automatic download and attachment of javadoc and sources for maven
dependencies. It's not too diffiult to ask Ivy to download artifacts you
want using the Ivy API. If we want something in the core without being too
m2 specific, we would have to introduce something like an optional artifact:
an artifact declared in a module descriptor (the memory representation of
poms and ivy files once parsed by Ivy) so that Ivy would try to download it,
but not complain if it doesn't exist.

But it really depend on what you actually need.

HTH,

Xavier

Norris Shelton
> Software Engineer
> Sun Certified Java 1.1 Programmer
> Shelton Consulting, LLC
> ICQ# 26487421
> AIM NorrisEShelton
> YIM norrisshelton

> the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.
> http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/index.php

Manage your dependencies with Ivy!
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/