Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Richard Bourner <rb...@OpTechSoftware.com> on 2002/12/12 01:51:07 UTC

How to use my own .xls file?

hi to all,
maybe it is so obvious that I don't even see it, but
after running jetspeed and jportal and adding some
portlets, I can't see how I can have my portlet
displaying my XML file using something else than the
default rss. Basically, I'd like my XML file to be
shown using my own .XLS file (located along with the XML).

Does anybody know if this is possible and how to do this?

Thanks
Richard

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Glen Carl <ca...@csc-monterey.com>.
I just set the jar.
We wrote our own since we wanted some re-writing capabilities.
Glen

RE: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Richard Bourner <rb...@OpTechSoftware.com>.

How to link one portlet to another portlet?

Posted by Sangam Dash <sr...@rippleimpact.com>.
Hi

Can i link one portlet to another so that if i have a link when the user
clicks on the link it will open up another portlet so that user doesnt
leave the same page but can see the other portlet in the same space?
Is it possible?
Could u guys please guide me ?
Thanks
sangam dash

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Sangam Dash <sr...@rippleimpact.com>.
Glen Carl wrote:

> Richard,
> For the proxy portlets, we have not yet built in file read support.
> Only, http access, so place the xsl file in a http readable location,
> and reference by something like <parameter name="stylesheet"
> value="http://127.0.0.1:8080/jetspeed/xsl/my.xsl"
> hidden="false"></parameter>
>
> Sangam,
> Attached is a jar containing some Proxy portlets that transform
> xml/xsl. Give them a try. We are trying to make them more generic for
> the good of the Jetspeed Community. We are also working on
> improvements, and new features to these portlets. They are hybrids of
> the XSL, Iframe and WebSurfRewriter portlets. The documentations for
> installation are in the Jar.
>
> Glen
>

>> Richard Bourner wrote:
>>
>>> Glen,
>>> do you happen to have any example of a XSL tranformation that
>>> you can send me?
>>>
>>> I can't see my XML file when using <parameter name="stylesheet"...>
>>> as you mentioned ealier.
>>>

>>> Basically I have:
>>>
>>> in my Registry file:
>>> --------------------
>>>     <portlet-entry ...>
>>>          <parameter name="stylesheet" value="/WEB-INF/xsl/convert.xsl"
>>> hidden="false"></parameter>
>>>          <url>/WEB-INF/xml/data.xml</url>
>>>          <category>news</category>
>>>     </portlet-entry>
>>>
>>> a XML file (/WEB-INF/xml/data.xml):
>>> -----------------------------------
>>>     <!DOCTYPE top SYSTEM "/WEB-INF/dtd/mydtd.dtd" >
>>>
>>> a DTD file (/WEB-INF/dtd/mydtd.dtd)
>>> -----------------------------------
>>>
>>> a XLS file (/WEB-INF/xsl/convert.xsl)
>>> -------------------------------------
>>>

>>> Any idea?
>>>
>>> Thx
>>> Richard
>>>

> > Sangam Dash wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have an xml file that is coming from some URL.
>> I have my own XSL file to convert it and show it inside a portlet.
>> Anybody know how to do this?
>> Thanks
>> sangam dash

do we need to give the class name also?
then what is the class name?
or we need only two things like the xsl file name and the url of the xml
file?
please help
thanks
sangam dash

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Glen Carl <ca...@csc-monterey.com>.
The browser proxy should be the host you are running.
Try value="http://127.0.0.1:8080/jetspeed/browser"
for parameter name="proxy"
This will work for local machine only. Need to substitute your domain
name or IP for the localhost value.
Glen

Access Control

Posted by Sangam Dash <sr...@rippleimpact.com>.
Hi

When a user logs in to jetspeed he can customize any portlets he wants to.
Can i limit the users' customization ability to customize only some of
the portlets once he logs in.
So that he cant even change the positions of other main portlets of our site
He can just add other portlets of his choice but cant temper with our
portlets?
Is it possible thru the security-role element in the xreg file?
I will appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Sangam Dash

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Glen Carl <ca...@csc-monterey.com>.
I tried out some of the Amazon xml/xsl that Sangam referenced, and it
does look better than our BBC example. We will work to improve the proxy
portlet examples, and reference the amazon.com content.
Glen

For a quick try, use:
source
http://xml.amazon.com

xsl http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/web-services/asin-data-to-html.xsl

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Sangam Dash <sr...@rippleimpact.com>.
Glen Carl wrote:

> What portlet are you trying to run? Are you really trying to create
> your own portlet that transforms xml/xsl, or are you trying to use a
> portlet like XSL Portlet to render the transform?
>
> For XSL portlet your you xreg classname would be
> <classname>org.apache.jetspeed.portal.portlets.XSLPortlet</classname>
> Look at portlets.xreg, and demo-portlets.xreg for examples.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Glen
>

> Richard Bourner wrote:
>
>> So isn't there a way to use my own .xml and .xsl without using my own
>> Portlet class?
>> For now it keeps searching to NewRSSPortlet which I don't want to.
>> If I don't have any <classname>MyPortlet</classname> how to avoid
>> using the
>> RSS one?
>>
>> Richard

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

I think the ProxyPortlet by default has a takes a lot of width and height?
Can i limit that by width or height parameter values?
Thanks
sangam dash

Re: How to use my own .xsl file?

Posted by Glen Carl <ca...@csc-monterey.com>.
Have you tried an URL reference of your xsl? I had some troubles with
the file read in the past. Just to see if this is the trouble try the
URL reference, move your genitips.xsl to the root directory of your
jetspeed webapp. Then change the

<parameter name="stylesheet" value="http://yourhost:8080/jetspeed/genitips.xsl"
hidden="false"/>

If this does not work then try putting your xsl on web server like
apache in the hdocs and try

<parameter name="stylesheet" value="http://yourhost/genitips.xsl"
hidden="false"/>

Glen

RE: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Richard Bourner <rb...@OpTechSoftware.com>.
Ok, Glen thanks for your help.

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Glen Carl <ca...@csc-monterey.com>.

RE: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Richard Bourner <rb...@OpTechSoftware.com>.
My typo was in my email only.

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Glen Carl <ca...@csc-monterey.com>.

RE: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Richard Bourner <rb...@OpTechSoftware.com>.
Yes Glen,

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Glen Carl <ca...@csc-monterey.com>.

RE: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Richard Bourner <rb...@OpTechSoftware.com>.

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Sangam Dash <sr...@rippleimpact.com>.

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Glen Carl <ca...@csc-monterey.com>.
Awesome!

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Sangam Dash <sr...@rippleimpact.com>.

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Glen Carl <ca...@csc-monterey.com>.
Don't forget the tomcat port number, unless you proxy.
Try http://127.0.0.1:8080/jetspeed/rss/rss.xsl

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Sangam Dash <sr...@rippleimpact.com>.
Richard Bourner wrote:

>Sangam,
>
>I suppose you can put the .xml and .xsl files where you want as long as you
>reference
>them appropriately in the corresponding .xreg file.
>
>Richard
>

>>only one xreg file is there in the jar
>>and the rss.xsl file where shud i copy it?
>>in the WEB-INF/classess/xsl folder or jetspeed/rss folder?
>>what about the http://152.80.105.107:8080/browser?
>>where should i give my xml file's url?
>>where shud i place my xsl file?
>>please help me
>>i am trying to run the proxy jar file that you sent me
>>thanks
>>sangam dash
>>

>--

In your jar file the xreg file points to some rss.xsl file in
http://127.0.0.1/jetspeed/rss/rss.xsl but the rss.xsl file is inside
WEB-INF/xsl folder.
i am a bit confused in that
I tried both the portlets it seems to be working but it prints junk
messages like this as in the attached file BBC IFramed and
Proxied.doc>>>>>>>

BBC IFramed and Proxied    ?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/default.stm Updated every
minute of every
dayen-gbhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/furniture/syndication/bbc_news_120x60.gifhttp://www.bbc.co.uk
Thursday, 12 December, 2002, 23:30 GMT Copyright: (C) British
Broadcasting
Corporationhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/syndication/http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/europe/2567897.stm
Denmark's prime minister makes a dramatic plea for compromise by
candidate countries to ensure the EU's historic expansion.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/2570743.stm
Washington says it will not be pressured into dialogue with North Korea
after Pyongyang decides to reactivate a nuclear power programme.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/middle_east/2570963.stm Two
soldiers die in an attack in Hebron, close to where 12 other members of
the security forces were killed in an ambush last month.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/africa/2568613.stm Thousands
of men turn up at a barracks hoping to join the Ivorian army, as rebels
suspend their participation in peace talks.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/2568703.stm The oil cartel
agrees to scale back the amount of oil it pumps into the global
marketplace in order to shore up prices.

 BBC In a WebBrowserPortlet    reset ?xml version="1.0"
encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/default.stm
Updated every minute of every
dayen-gbhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/furniture/syndication/bbc_news_120x60.gifhttp://www.bbc.co.uk
Thursday, 12 December, 2002, 23:27 GMTCopyright: (C) British
[...]

Is this correct? or it doesnt find the rss.xsl file thats why its
printing like this?>

RE: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Richard Bourner <rb...@OpTechSoftware.com>.
Sangam,

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Sangam Dash <sr...@rippleimpact.com>.

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Glen Carl <ca...@csc-monterey.com>.

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Sangam Dash <sr...@rippleimpact.com>.

Re: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Glen Carl <ca...@csc-monterey.com>.
Richard,

RE: How to use my own .xls file?

Posted by Richard Bourner <rb...@OpTechSoftware.com>.
I had already created the xls dir, but even before reaching my .xls file, it
seems to complain about my XML file and DTD:

[12 Dec 2002 15:16:28  WARN] - Cache getEntry Called with
jndi:/localhost/jetspeed/WEB-INF/dtd/genitips.dtd
[12 Dec 2002 15:16:28  INFO] - Adding Local to cache list:
jndi:/localhost/jetspeed/WEB-INF/dtd/genitips.dtd
[12 Dec 2002 15:16:28  INFO] - Returning local cached URL
[12 Dec 2002 15:16:28 ERROR] -
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.PortletException: This does not appear to be an
RSS document
	at
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.portlets.NewRSSPortlet.init(NewRSSPortlet.java:18
4)

As I expected not to have to write a new portlet (I guess that's what Glen
did), what is the way to let jetspeed know that my XML file is not a RSS
one?
Nothing in my .xreg refers to NewRSSPortlet class.

Thx
Richard

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> For additional commands, e-mail: