Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Jean-Philippe Clement <je...@sogeti.com> on 2011/10/07 18:17:40 UTC

Karaf in GlassFish

Hi,

I would like to add Blueprint (mainly) to GlassFish.

What would be the best approach? Running GlassFish in Karaf? Running
Karaf specific bundles in GlassFish? Else?

Kind regards,
Jean-Philippe

Re: Add GlassFish mode to Karaf?

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
This list looks pretty good, but beware pax-logging might interfere here, I
don't know how and if glassfish provides a log4j or slf4j
way of logging, but since it will use the std. java logging api this might
cause trouble. :)

just my 0.02€ ;)

*Achim Nierbeck*

OPS4J Pax Web <http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/>  Committer &
Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Add GlassFish mode to Karaf?

Posted by Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com>.
Hi,

I have already acknowledged that GlassFish could be benefited from the
OSGi shell extensions.

I don't see us bundling blueprint bundles, because we expect our users
to use CDI for their dependency injection. It works well in their hybrid
apps and is easier to use IMHO. Blueprint works well with CDI and they
both can be used in the same bundle. You are expecting the same
component to be managed by two IoC containers which is rarely the case.
As I have already told you, if blueprint is extensible, we can certainly
evaluate the possibility of writing a portable CDI extension to perform
injections in a blueprint component. You are most welcome to file an RFE
to this effect in GlassFish.

I don't understand this logging requirement. How is this unified log API
from Karaf any different from something like slf4j? Some of our extenral
bundles use slf4j, but we configure them to use slf4j/jdk binding so
that the log messages produced by them go to our server.log. I see a
number of projects using slf4j - not that I am great fan of it. Is there
a new log API that Karaf proposes? If so, I don't see GlassFish ever
migrating to it. We have decided to use JDK logging APIs in our own
bundles and as the logging backend. We expect other logging frameworks
to provide bindings to JDK logging and many do.

Striking a right balance is not easy. A lot of GlassFish users don't
know about OSGi, so they hardly care about these things. The ones who
are familiar with OSGi know how to add these extensions. If you want to
see some of these extensions by default, please file some RFEs in
GlassFish JIRA so we can consider them when we plan our releases.

Thanks for this discussion,
Sahoo

Posted by Jean-Philippe Clement <je...@sogeti.com>.
Well,

Posted by Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Jean-Philippe Clement <je...@sogeti.com>.
Yes! Could be great!!!

Posted by Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Jean-Philippe Clement <je...@sogeti.com>.
Yes, correct, the pax-logging bundles.

So, I can install all the bundles Karaf uses and, each time there is a
new version of a bundle, update accordingly.

...I guess it could have been more easy to install and update only
Karaf for GlassFish :)

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 15:35, Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 13 October 2011 06:13 PM, Jean-Philippe Clement wrote:
>
>> "I will be very interested to know which features of Karaf you are
>> interested in seeing in GlassFish."
>>
>> Mainly:
>>  * OSGi blueprint
>>
> Definitely. You have already done this.
>
>   * Unified Log stuff + can add OSGi service as log appender (PaxAppender)
>>
> Should be possible. GlassFish mostly uses jdk logging, although some
> bundles in GlassFish use slf4j and slf4j/jdk binding. I have had to use
> Felix log service as an implementation of OSGi Log Service while running
> OSGi Web container compliance test suite and didn't notice any issues then.

I think Jean-Philippe is referring to using pax-logging service which is
included in Karaf.  It should be easy to install the two pax-logging bundles
and uninstall any log4j / slf4j / commons-logging bundle from your Glassfish
installation (if any).

>   * Properties (property placeholder)
>>
> Don't know what this is. From the name, it seems like some kind of property
> substitution mechanism. If this feature can be installed as a set of
> bundles, then I don't see any reason for it to not work in GlassFish.
>
>>  * Extensible shell (osgi.command.scope/osgi.**command.function)
>>
> Yes. GlassFish already comes with Felix Gogo shell. I already mentioned in
> a previous email how to enable the same. So, you should be able to add
> additional bundles implementing new commands.
>

>> Could they be integrated in GlassFish?
>>
> Give a try and let us know.
>
> Sahoo

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Posted by Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
JP,

The "property placeholder" has nothing to do with Karaf but is related
to Spring work "http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.0.5.RELEASE/api/org/springframework/beans/factory/config/PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer.html"
which has been integrated into OGSI Specification based on Spring DM
Compendium work
(http://static.springsource.org/osgi/docs/1.2.x/reference/html/compendium.html)
under Blueprint (http://aries.apache.org/modules/blueprint.html -
http://fusesource.com/docs/ide/camel/1.0/eip/RiderEIPPropPlaceholders.html).
If you deploy the required bundles, that should work. For logging
bundles, you should be able to use what is provided by Apache Felix or
use PAX-Web Logging (to be checked). The command shells can be easily
extended (http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest-2.2.x/developers-guide/extending-console.html)
as Karaf uses gogo which is a Felix project
(http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-gogo.html).

Regards,

Charles Moulliard

Apache Committer

Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
Twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard
Skype: cmoulliard

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 10/13/11 08:43 , Jean-Philippe Clement wrote:
> "I will be very interested to know which features of Karaf you are
> interested in seeing in GlassFish."
>
> Mainly:
>  * OSGi blueprint
>  * Unified Log stuff + can add OSGi service as log appender (PaxAppender)
>  * Properties (property placeholder)
>  * Extensible shell (osgi.command.scope/osgi.command.function)

Gogo, which is used by GlassFish, is extensible by default, just
register an object with a service property telling the runtime to use it
and you're done.

Perhaps you are specifically referring to the Karaf-specific extension,
e.g., command completion and whatnot.

-> richard

Posted by Jean-Philippe Clement <je...@sogeti.com>.

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Sahoo,

Your question is really pertinent "I will be very interested to know
which features of Karaf you are interested in seeing in GlassFish."

Jean-Philippe,

Do you need the console, admin, ssh, jaas security features provided
by karaf OR simply deploy bundles that we have packaged in karaf under
<features> like spring, camel, cxf, .... If this is the case, drag and
drop the bundles in the directory mentioned by Sahoo and you can next
work with it ;-)

Regards,

Charles

Posted by Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com>.
Due to security reasons, Felix remote shell is not active by default in
GlassFish installation. One can activate it by adding
org.apache.felix.shell.remote.jar to the list of bundles
glassfish/osgi/felix/conf/config.properties. The property names have
changed between GlassFish releases. I recommend using GlassFish 3.1.1
for any kind of experiment and for 3.1.1, the property name is
"optional.bundles."

Instead of using the shell, one can easily install bundles by copying
them to domain1/autodeploy/bundles/ directory, which is watched by
FileInstall, so the same directory can be used for Karaf cfg files as well.

JVM properties should be specified in domain.xml. Properties referenced
via BundleContext.getProperty() can be specified in
felix/conf/config.properties.

Instead of copying all those Karaf bundles, one should pick bundles that
are really needed in GlassFish. I will be very interested to know which

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jean-Philippe,

Posted by Jean-Philippe Clement <je...@sogeti.com>.

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Philippe Clement <je...@sogeti.com>.

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com>.
There are two possibilities:

a) Karaf bundles embedded inside GlassFish

b) GlassFish bundles embedded inside Karaf [1]

The choice depends on which server platform you want to use and what you
are trying to do. If you just want to add Java EE capabilities to Karaf,
then approach #b can be explored, but if you want all the capabilities
of GlassFish like clustering, HA, monitoring, etc, then approach #a
makes sense. In your first email in this thread, you mentioned about
adding "Karaf features" to GlassFish. If they are implemented as simple
bundles, they be added in GlassFish just like you added aries blueprint
support to GlassFish. So, please tell us what Karaf features you are
looking for in GlassFish. I am sure someone familiar with Karaf will

Posted by Jean-Philippe Clement <je...@sogeti.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Why don't you look at Geronimo then ? The 3.0 which is being worked on is
already based on Karaf.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 13:10, Jean-Philippe Clement <
jeanphilippe.clement@sogeti.com> wrote:

> I would say all GlassFish/JavaEE6 aspects. Not to mention nice web
> administration.
>
> Kind regards,
> Jean-Philippe
>
> Quoting Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>:
>
>  Which features are you interested in for Glassfish ? Also, we may want to
>> consider Geronimo which is already based on Karaf and apache licensed.
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:36, Jean-Philippe Clement <
>> jeanphilippe.clement@sogeti.**com <je...@sogeti.com>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  HeadlessException is rose because of -Djava.awt.headless=true option in
>>> GlassFish (*). Blueprint bundles are activated correctly!
>>>
>>> Having said that, I will certainly have to add other Karaf features to
>>> GlassFish which is not handy.
>>>
>>> Could it be possible to integrate Karaf and GlassFish to obtain a "JavaEE
>>> Karaf"?
>>>

>>> (*) admin web page => server-config => JVM Parameters => JVM Options
>>>
>>> PS: I changed SLF4J implementation from Log4J to "Simple"
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Jean-Philippe
>>>
>>> Quoting Jean-Philippe Clement  <jeanphilippe.clement@sogeti.****com<
>>> jeanphilippe.clement@**sogeti.com <je...@sogeti.com>>

>>>  As I mentioned in the JIRA thread, the root cause is a

>> --
>> ------------------------
>> Guillaume Nodet
>> ------------------------
>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>> ------------------------
>> Open Source SOA
>> http://fusesource.com

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Posted by Jean-Philippe Clement <je...@sogeti.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Which features are you interested in for Glassfish ? Also, we may want to
consider Geronimo which is already based on Karaf and apache licensed.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:36, Jean-Philippe Clement <
jeanphilippe.clement@sogeti.com> wrote:

> HeadlessException is rose because of -Djava.awt.headless=true option in
> GlassFish (*). Blueprint bundles are activated correctly!
>
> Having said that, I will certainly have to add other Karaf features to
> GlassFish which is not handy.
>
> Could it be possible to integrate Karaf and GlassFish to obtain a "JavaEE
> Karaf"?
>

> (*) admin web page => server-config => JVM Parameters => JVM Options
>
> PS: I changed SLF4J implementation from Log4J to "Simple"
>
> Kind regards,
> Jean-Philippe
>
> Quoting Jean-Philippe Clement <je...@sogeti.com>
> >:
>
>  As I mentioned in the JIRA thread, the root cause is a
>> HeadlessException. Still the GlassFish NPE does not seem to be the
>> proper way to handle bundle issues.
>>
>> I googled "GlassFish HeadlessException" and did not find a quick fix
>> yet. Maybe, if you could help me on this point also :)
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Jean-Philippe
>>
>> Quoting Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com>:
>>
>>  I am able to use more-or-less the same bundles in GlassFish 3.1.1.
>>> Since we are already discussing this issue in GlassFish JIRA, we can
>>> terminate this thread here.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Sahoo

------------------------