Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nancy Crisostomo Martinez <na...@correo.uqroo.mx> on 2001/10/22 17:54:30 UTC

STARTUP.SH DOESN'T WORKS FINE

Hello everybody!
I hope you could help me, please..

Actually, I'm begining to use Tomcat, and I have a succeded start
because it still works PERFECT to me...
But muy problem is very strange :
I installed Tomcat to Solaris 8, and when I start it (startup.sh |
tomcat.sh start ) it starts, but when I close the terminal window Tomcat
shuts down!!! and now I'm using Tomcat with a terminal window opened
with the caution message :"DON'T CLOSE, PLEASE"...

I hope you could help me to fix it.
Nancy.

Jikes & Tomcat 4.0.1 on Windows NT

Posted by Gordon Barr <go...@bristol.ac.uk>.
I wonder if anybody out there can help ................

I am trying to get Jikes to compile my JSP pages but all to no avail. I have set up the catalina.bat
& web.xml files as detailed in the release notes (details listed below) but it still does not
work (error thrown listed below). Suspect it may be a classpath prob but am running out of ideas
fast! The conventional set up using JAVAC works fine. Anybody got any thoughts on how to
make it all work?

Thanks in advance,
Gordon

Operating system: Windows NT
Tomcat Version: 4.0.1
Jikes Version: 1.15

catalina.bat entry:
set
CP=%JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\rt.jar;%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar

web.xml entry:
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>jsp</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet</servlet-class>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>logVerbosityLevel</param-name>
      <param-value>WARNING</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>jspCompilerPath</param-name>
      <param-value>c:\jdk1.3\addins\jikes-1.15\bin\jikes.exe</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>jspCompilerPlugin</param-name>
      <param-value>org.apache.jasper.compiler.JikesJavaCompiler</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <load-on-startup>3</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>

Apache Tomcat/4.0.1 - HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error

type Exception report

message Internal Server Error

description The server encountered an internal error (Internal Server Error) that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

C:/Program Files/Apache Tomcat 4.0/work/localhost/development/index$jsp.java:0:0:0:0: Error: Could not find package "java/util" in:
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\bin\bootstrap.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\webapps\development\WEB-INF\classes
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\webapps\development\WEB-INF\lib\crimson.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\webapps\development\WEB-INF\lib\jaxp.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\classes
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\lib\jasper-compiler.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\lib\jasper-runtime.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\lib\naming-factory.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\common\classes
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\common\lib\activation.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\common\lib\colt.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\common\lib\jdbc2_0-stdext.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\common\lib\jta.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\common\lib\mail.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\common\lib\mm.mysql-2.0.7-bin.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\common\lib\naming-common.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\common\lib\naming-resources.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\common\lib\servlet.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\common\lib\tools.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\common\lib\tyrex-0.9.7.0.jar
                C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\common\lib\xerces.jar
                .

C:/Program Files/Apache Tomcat 4.0/work/localhost/development/index$jsp.java:0:0:0:0: Error: Could not find package "java/lang" in:
[...]

	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:284)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:546)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspServlet.java:177)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.java:189)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:382)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:474)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:243)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:472)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:201)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:472)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2344)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:164)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:170)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:462)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:472)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:163)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:472)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.process(HttpProcessor.java:1011)
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java:1106)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

_________________________________

Gordon Barr, STARTright Project
Department of Engineering Mathematics
Design Information Group
University of Bristol
83 Woodland Road
Bristol BS8 1US

Tel:      0117 9288914
Fax:     0117 9288912
e-mail:  gordon.barr@bristol.ac.uk
http://www.dig.bris.ac.uk/staff/gordon/gb.htm

Re: STARTUP.SH DOESN'T WORKS FINE

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
> | Tom Drake wrote:
> |
> | > This has nothing to do with tomcat. It is standard unix behavior.
> | > When a user logs out, all processes created by that user are killed.
> |

> | No, when a user logs out all processes that are children to that shell
> instance
> | are sent a HUP signal (Hang UP). A process may choose to ignore that
> signal.
> | Every well written daemon and server process SHOULD do that (among other
> things).
>
> Effectively the process is killed. I think we are saying the same thing.
> As far as I know, there's no way to receive SIGHUP (or any other Unix
> signal) in your java code anyway.

I just wanted to be clear. :-) A JVM is a regular UNIX process, I see no reason why it shouldn't be able to close it's controlling terminal. Or ignore loosing one, for that matter. I have started Tomcat from a terminal with "catalina.sh start" and it shows on "ps -A" as:

15532 ??       S        8:34.29 /usr/opt/java130/bin/alpha/native_threads/java -classpath /usr/local/java/tomcat-4.01/bin/...

So, it can survive even without "nohup".

> | I use "tomcat.sh start" instead of "tomcat.sh run" and so should Nancy.
> The
> | problem is in Tomcat getting HUP signal, but in loosing a console, I
> think.
>
> I think that run is actually more appropriate since it will not spawn the
> jvm in background. We are doing that ourselves with the '&' at the end of the
> command above.

Yes, effectively it will do the same thing as "start"

Nix.

Re: STARTUP.SH DOESN'T WORKS FINE

Posted by Janek Bogucki <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
 --- Tom Drake <rt...@pobox.com> wrote: >
> Effectively the process is killed. I think we are
> saying the same thing.
> As far as I know, there's no way to receive SIGHUP
> (or any other Unix
> signal)
> in your java code anyway.

It is possible to register a shutdown hook which is
executed when the JVM is shutdown

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/TechTips/2000/tt0711.html

JBoss uses this (AFAIK) in order to do an orderly
shutdown when ctrl-c in pressed in the console it is
running.

-Janek

Re: STARTUP.SH DOESN'T WORKS FINE

Posted by Tom Drake <rt...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 14/11/2001 07:07 pm, "Nikola Milutinovic" <Ni...@ev.co.yu>
wrote:

> Tom Drake wrote:
>
>> This has nothing to do with tomcat. It is standard unix behavior.
>> When a user logs out, all processes created by that user are killed.
>

> No, when a user logs out all processes that are children to that shell
> instance
> are sent a HUP signal (Hang UP). A process may choose to ignore that signal.
> Every well written daemon and server process SHOULD do that (among other
> things).
>

>> Unix provides simple way to around this feature.
>> Simply type the following command:
>>
>>     nohup tomcat.sh run &
>

> I use "tomcat.sh start" instead of "tomcat.sh run" and so should Nancy. The
> problem is in Tomcat getting HUP signal, but in loosing a console, I think.
>

>> In this case all 'console output produced by tomcat will
>> appear in a file called 'nohup.out'.
>>
>> The name nohup comes from the days of flaky dialup connections
>> and is short for 'no hang-up'. It is used to
>> prevent a spurious loss of connection (or hang-up) from stopping
>> a process.
>
> Or for instance, I connect to my company, locate a file for download, place it
> in script, run the script with nohup and disconnect. The download will go on.

It must be the window manager, because when I SSH to a Solaris 8 machine,
issue the "tomcat start" and then exit (with "exit"), tomcat is still up...
The shell doesn't send any weird HUP, at least from remote...

    Pier

Re: STARTUP.SH DOESN'T WORKS FINE

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.

Posted by Janek Bogucki <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi Nancy,

This is what happens under Linux:

1. Switch to a virtual console and login
2. execute startup.sh
   (Tomcat is running)
3. exit from shell
4. Login and Tomcat is still running.

So I have daemon behaviour under Linux.

-Janek

 --- Nancy Crisostomo Martinez
<na...@correo.uqroo.mx> wrote: > Hello everybody!

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
> Hi again!
> And thank you very much to all of you who had been sending some advice!!
>
> I tried to start Tomcat with the following sentence:
>
> "tomcat.sh start &"

There is no need for "&" with "start", it already has "&" in the script.

> And it didn't work again...
> I'm going to try with "nohup"...
>
> When I work with the server (Solaris) I open a terminal window and I close it
> with the exit command. But when I work by a remote connection (from my PC,
> Windows 98) I open a telnet window and it has the same behavior... I can't close
> the window (terminal o telnet) because Tomcat shuts down...  I don't know why it
> only happends with Tomcat, because when I start Apache or Jserv as the same way,
> they are still alive when I close the telnet window...

OK, I user SecureCRT. I ssh to my server and issue "startup.sh", which in turn runs:

./catalina.sh start -config ${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/server.xml

which translates to

(setup CLASSPATH)
$JAVA_HOME/bin/java $CATALINA_OPTS -classpath $CP \
     -Dcatalina.base=$CATALINA_BASE \
     -Dcatalina.home=$CATALINA_HOME \
     org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -config ${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/server.xml start

So, try a normal telnet client like CRT (I'm not advertizing, just have a lot of good expirience with the CRT/SCRT products) and run just:

./bin/tomcat.sh start -config config/server.xml

and logout normally, just like you would do after Apache or Sendmail. You can setup your environment later...

Nix.

Nix.

Sessions being shared... (TC 3.2.3)

Posted by Paul Rubenis <pa...@tc.umn.edu>.
	I have some strangeness happening when using Tomcat 3.2.3, Apache and
an EJB Server.  Though it appears to be a session issue.  The
application is using SSL via Apache.

	Basically people log into the application via a jsp, the jsp creates a
session for that person and stuffs information about them into it.  What
is happening is that somehow sessions are being shared between people.
So person A logs in just fine, does some stuff.  Person B then logs in,
gets the session id for person A and therefore can see everything person
A can in the application.  Obviously this is bad.  What perplexes me is
how anyone could EVER get another persons sessionid.

Here are the specs for the environment:

Solaris 7
java 1.3.1
jakarta 3.2.3
apache-ssl 1.3.19

	Thanks for any insight people might have on this.

--
+-------------------------------------- mailto:paulr@tc.umn.edu ----+
| Paul M Rubenis - System Administrator                             |

Re: STARTUP.SH DOESN'T WORKS FINE

Posted by Nancy Crisostomo Martinez <na...@correo.uqroo.mx>.
Hi again!
And thank you very much to all of you who had been sending some advice!!

I tried to start Tomcat with the following sentence:

"tomcat.sh start &"

And it didn't work again...
I'm going to try with "nohup"...

When I work with the server (Solaris) I open a terminal window and I close it
with the exit command. But when I work by a remote connection (from my PC,
Windows 98) I open a telnet window and it has the same behavior... I can't close
the window (terminal o telnet) because Tomcat shuts down...  I don't know why it
only happends with Tomcat, because when I start Apache or Jserv as the same way,
they are still alive when I close the telnet window...

Thank you again!

Nancy.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.