Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by test test <te...@EUROPACIFIC.au.com> on 2001/04/23 05:34:43 UTC

RE: Tomcat & Windows NT & IIS

Craig

Thank you for your advice.

I have been through the instructions on IIS (tomcat-iis-howto.html).

However, I still cannot get the examples to work under IIS (they work fine
with Tomcat),

I have been through the trouble shooting section with no luck.

I have not added any contexts as I can't get the examples to work.

Not sure what to do now, please help !

Thanks

Hamant

Posted by Craig O'Brien <cr...@dynamic-apps.com>.
Good,

So you have tomcat running and can view the JSP and Servlet examples using
port 8080.  (localhost:8080/)  Do not add any contexts yet.  First you want
to get the isapi_redirect.dll installed so that you can call the examples
directly without referencing the port. If you haven't downloaded this yet
get the binary from the apache site.  There are several steps to follow in
the "IIS how to" instructions.  Again follow them explicitly.  You will need
to register the isapi _redirect.dll with IIs, modify your registry (be very
careful!!), create a directory to place the isapi redirect into, and modify
your workers properties file. (tomcat/conf/workersproperties)  I am doing
this by memory so follow your instructions carefully. Most people make their
errors in the registry settings. Again it is so much easier if you print out
the instructions.

If you want to test some jsps or servlets that you have already made before
you have the isapi working, place the jsps into the ROOT directory and call
them with (localhost:8080/yourjspname.jsp).  Servlets must be placed in the
WEB_INF/classes directory and are referenced by
(localhost:8080/servlet/yourservletname_noextention).  Spend a little time
getting familiar with the directories.  All of your web apps go under the
webapps/ROOT directory. You will know if isapi is working when you can drop
the port reference and still get them.

Sounds like you are getting there. Go one small step at a time, test your
results, then proceed.  By the time you install tomcat for the 3rd or 4th
time it will only take 30 minutes.  Print out all of the conf files.  All
your tomcat configuration is done through modifying them. They are well
documented with comments.

Tomcat adheres strictly to the Sun jsp/servlet APIs so those documents are
worth getting familiar with as well.

Good luck,
Craig

It's late here, I'm out for the night.