Posted to dev@depot.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2004/07/12 20:03:53 UTC

TODOs

Ok, time to re-gen a set of todos since we have a few folks who are able to
scratch this itch right now. Here are some things that come to my mind.

1) ASF Repository

Find out more about what has been implemented in the name of the ASF
Repository, and report to this list. I know something called this exists
somewhere (although I don't think it follows an ASF repo layout, but a Maven
one) I'd like to poke it, prod it, test it.

2) Repository/Artifact (Avalon interface)

This re-work was very close, needs to be completed (and the Ant Type needs
to be re-tested over it). One for me, since I started it...

3) Downloading

Create a separate DownloadManager that does downloads for us, and does
things like check MD5s, and allows user-set listeners for doing things like
'.' (dots) for downloaded blocks, or percentages in GUIs, etc.

4) API

Keep refactoring/documenting to generate a simple API. A 'hands on'
interface, for those wanting to manually work w/ Repository/Artifacts
(Avaloners) and an Updater one (for querying repositories and downloading
latest best fit).

5) Monitor the Gump errors and fix what needs fixing.

regards,

Adam
--
Experience the Unwired Enterprise:
http://www.sybase.com/unwiredenterprise

Re: closer (was Re: TODOs)

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>"Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> wrote:
>

>>ASF Repository:
>>
>>About this time what I'm maintaining is the following two repository
>>directories:
>>

>Thanks for this write-up.
>

>>I haven't yet explored the idea of getting a "repository.apache.org"
>>virtual host going. Up to this point I wanted to see the reuse of the
>>existing mirroring structure to get these artifacts out to multiple
>>hosts. I know that Henri and others have been working on some new
>>download pages and scripts for redirecting to mirrors for downloads. I'd
>>be really interested in finding out how we can combine this sort of
>>Metadata with a download client to get clients downloading "load
>>balanced" across the mirrors. I suspect this would be a server side
>>redirect mechanism of some sort.
>>

>In Depot Update we've tinkered with picking one based off this URL's
>contents.
>
>http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/java-repository/
>
>Are you talking about closer.cgi, or a newer script?
>
>regards
>
>Adam

Hmm, I was reviewing the emails and most of it was about building proper
links to closer.cgi from the various download pages in Jakarta Commons.
Not neccessarily improving upon closer.cgi.

http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg43827.html

I think what really needs to happen is that theres a "machine" readable
or parametized version of this script which returns either a redirect or
a machine parsable list of locations (for instance in XML/RDF) instead
of the human readable html page. The current script doesn't offer this,
but a "template" could written for it to meet this need. At first I
thought it would be fine to just have a serverside script that returns a
redirect. But after some thought I realized the client in this situation
would probibly just be a simple Http client or ftp client and if the
connection failed, there would be a need for some sort of mechanism for
recovery and retry at a new location, in which case getting and parsing
a list would give the client multiple locations to choose from. I think
this could really be accomplished by extending the script as such that
it could detect user-agent or other request header/parameter and return
the appropriate formatted content instead. Then the client would parse
the content and iterate over the list until it retrieved a successfull
download.

-Mark

closer (was Re: TODOs)

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.

Re: TODOs

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>Ok, time to re-gen a set of todos since we have a few folks who are able to
>scratch this itch right now. Here are some things that come to my mind.
>
>1) ASF Repository
>
>Find out more about what has been implemented in the name of the ASF
>Repository, and report to this list. I know something called this exists
>somewhere (although I don't think it follows an ASF repo layout, but a Maven
>one) I'd like to poke it, prod it, test it.

ASF Repository:

About this time what I'm maintaining is the following two repository
directories:

Production Release Repository: This repository is located in dist and
mirrored to all Apache Mirrors. This is a mission critical repository
for Apache, we maintain all Apache artifacts being released for public
consumption here and it is rsynced to the www.ibiblio.org/maven
directory every 4 hours overwriting anything updated. This allows us to
manage the Apache content in the Maven repository locally which is more
acceptable because we have fully control over when it is released into
dist at Apache.
/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

Interm/Nightly/Beta Repository: This is a Maven repository outside the
dist directory for artifacts we do not want to see distributed to
mirrors or anywhere else for that matter. This is a repository for
developers to test deployment into and to "release" developmental builds
to the "Apache Developer Community".
/www/cvs.apache.org/repository
http://cvs.apache.org/repository