Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by Luis Pablo Gallo <lp...@odeasrl.com.ar> on 2008/12/02 19:46:49 UTC

Project status

   Hi, I'm a Java developer from Argentina and I use Torque in many
projects. Since I don't see any new release of this framework since
February 2008 I was wondering if it's still active or not. In case you
don't know the project status, could you give me the contact of someone
who does please?
    Thanks in advance,

       Luis Pablo

Re: Project status

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Greg Monroe wrote:
> Of course, it helps to prod the sleeping bear occasionally ;)

... or to add contributions. This *will* wake him up. :-)

Bye, Thomas

RE: Project status

Posted by Greg Monroe <mo...@dukece.com>.
In addition to what Thomas said...

You should note that Torque is at relatively stable  point of
development based more or less on the original design
view/methodology (with some major mods happening about version
3.1...).  IMHO, the 3.3 release is at a point where the existing
design is close to the best it can get.  It's had extensive bug
testing, is very stable, and meets a high percentage of what
people want to use it for.

A point in case, is the low number of bugs that have been
reported since the 3.3 release. This is one reason for a low
number of commits over the last period.  The developers are
still around.. just there have been no quick fixes needed.

That said, Torque 4.0 features have been discussed on the
Torque-Dev mailing list (see Threads starting around late Nov
2006 and documented in the Torque Wiki (Thanks Thomas F!).
The vision for these is a fairly major redesign to the under
side of Torque.

As Thomas has said, folks are busy.. and getting started on
a major redesign means that people have to find a large
chunk of time and energy to devote to this.  Even then it will
be long process because we are talking about major changes and
Torque is used in ways that were never imagined.  This is sure
to lead to a large set of issues and problems that will have to
be hashed out, re-thought, re-coded, and the like.

Of course, it helps to prod the sleeping bear occasionally ;)

DukeCE Privacy Statement:
strictly prohibited.

RE: Project status

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.