Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> on 2004/12/17 13:45:59 UTC

RFC: mailer.py - should it do other kinds of commit notification too?

Issue #2098 contains a "commit-notification by RSS feed" script, which is
derived from an old version of mailer.py

For maintainability, it makes sense to merge the functionality into
mailer.py, or reject it outright.

So, my question is:

*** Should mailer.py do other kinds of commit-notification as well as email,
or should it not? ***

My main concern is that there is already a whole seperate project:
commitmessage.tigris.org dedicated to building a pluggable commit message
notification system, currently featuring email and IM (AIM & MSN) methods.

Opinions?

Max.

Re: RFC: mailer.py - should it do other kinds of commit notification too?

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Max Bowsher wrote:
> My main concern is that there is already a whole seperate project:
> commitmessage.tigris.org dedicated to building a pluggable commit
> message notification system, currently featuring email and IM (AIM &
> MSN) methods.

There is also the SVN::Notify package on CPAN for the Perl community...

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: RFC: mailer.py - should it do other kinds of commit notification too?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Max Bowsher" <ma...@ukf.net> writes:
> Issue #2098 contains a "commit-notification by RSS feed" script, which
> is derived from an old version of mailer.py
>
> For maintainability, it makes sense to merge the functionality into
> mailer.py, or reject it outright.
>
> So, my question is:
>
> *** Should mailer.py do other kinds of commit-notification as well as
> email, or should it not? ***
>
> My main concern is that there is already a whole seperate project:
> commitmessage.tigris.org dedicated to building a pluggable commit
> message notification system, currently featuring email and IM (AIM &
> MSN) methods.
>
> Opinions?

I think mailer.py should be about email.  A separate program for RSS
feeds makes more sense.  Otherwise, mailer.py expands into a generic
hook script -- IOW, 'cp mailer.py hooks/post-commit', which is sort of
a circular direction to go.