Posted to dev@fluo.apache.org by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com> on 2017/07/27 15:10:33 UTC

[DISCUSS] Relax RTC for urgent website updates

I have been thinking that it may be useful to relax RTC for urgent
website updates.   I can not imagine this being needed for Fluo or
Fluo Recipes because of the 3 day release process.  However, the
website is always immediately available after any update.  It would be
nice to have an agreed on mechanism for bypassing RTC for the website.
Possibly something like the following :

 * Create PR for website and tag it urgent
 * Attempt to contact other PMC members
 * Wait X time (for example 10 mins)
 * After X time if no one has indicated they are reviewing, then
commiter can push

I think the policy should include something like : should this policy
ever cause strife in the community, it must be repealed immediately.

Re: [DISCUSS] Relax RTC for urgent website updates

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Mike Walch <mw...@apache.org> wrote:
> A pull request to the website makes sense to me as that is where the policy
> change to RTC will be communicated to new contributors.  If anyone has
> objections to the change, they can -1 the pull request.

SGTM

Posted by Mike Walch <mw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
Any thoughts about the following vote email?

Subject : [VOTE] Allow bypassing RTC for urgent changes

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:
> How about something like:
>
> """
> Reviews may only be bypassed in the case of an emergency, and only after an
> appropriate level of effort has been made to request a review. Before
> bypassing a review, the committer should take appropriate steps to ensure
> that their actions can be reversed, if necessary. The committer should also
> send an explanation to the dev list (or private list, if sensitive)
> immediately afterwards justifying the urgency. The PMC members will decide
> whether the action was warranted, and what follow-on actions should be
> taken, if any. Such emergencies should be extremely rare, and would
> typically only apply to things not blocked by a release vote (such as a
> website change).
> """
>
> The above proposed wording has the benefit of being simple, flexible, and
> accountable, but not being tied to any complex rules like tagging,
> labeling, waiting for specific durations, etc. that can undermine the

I like this, not specifying any specifics other than a note to a mailing list.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
How about something like:

"""

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.