Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Michael Goulish <mg...@redhat.com> on 2021/06/25 12:45:57 UTC

[qdr] latency test results are complete for 1.16.x branch

The upshot:
  * Worst-case results across the board have greatly improved.
  * HTTP adapter has gotten slightly slower in requests per second.

Complete results here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dsSd6y90HwfI1YYo9z8uu4-K4mYe4SZIFkjRkzBlYI0/edit?usp=sharing>
.

Next up -- throughput tests using iperf3.

The tests use 'hey' load generator on one machine, and 'nginx' server on
the other.

The two machines are connected by a 40 Gbit/sec network. Receiving machine
has 32 cores, sender has 16.

The tests are:  { 1 sender, 10 senders } { TCP adapter, HTTP1 adapter } {
No Router, One router, Two routers, One 2-armed router, Two two-armed
routers } .

Re: [qdr] latency test results are complete for 1.16.x branch

Posted by Michael Goulish <mg...@redhat.com>.
By "two-armed router" I mean a router that is using two separate networks.

In the case of the tests in my Scenarios 4 and 5, I use the 40-Gbit network
for inter-router traffic, and the 'normal' 1-Gbit network for communication
between each router and its attached clients.

The concept is that this might reduce congestion, cause a massive increase
in throughput, and shower everyone involved with glory and honor.

Unfortunately there is such a large disparity in speed between these two
networks that I doubt this is a fair test of the idea. Showering of glory
and honor postponed until further notice.  Maybe someday I will find some
extra high-speed NICs and cables lying about ....