Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2005/06/07 19:40:40 UTC

[Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

Hi there,

Tim O'Brien and I have started a web site called http://www.mavenbook.org.

One of its goal is to advertise the "Maven: A Developer's Notebook" that we
have written for O'Reilly. However the other goal is to publish other
information about Maven. ATM we have 3 types of information there:

- News about the book and more generally news about Maven appearances Tim
and I will be giving. We are happy to broaden this for any presentation that
anyone may give about Maven. But we'll need your help for this so that we
know when it happens.

- Tips and tricks about Maven. Tim and I are regularly publishing but again
if you have a good tip that you'd like to post, contact me and I'll give you
direct access to the wiki (yes, it's a wiki under the hood. Cool, no? ;-)).

- Announcements. Maven releases and Maven plugings announcements

I'm curious to know if you find those 3 categories interesting or not. For
example, I'm not sure the announcements category is useful. What do you
think?

Also are there are any other category of information you'd like to see
there. The idea is not to duplicate the resources that you see on the main
maven web site. It's more oriented towards news than towards information or
resources (this should be added on the main maven site).

Thanks a lot
-Vincent

RE: [Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Good catch! Fixed!

> I'll see if we can add it to mavenblogs.com.

[snip]

Thanks

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to see the title of the RSS feed set to something other than
"Personal Wiki" :)

http://mavenbook.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/BlogRss?xpage=rdf

I'll see if we can add it to mavenblogs.com.

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Emmanouil,

Isn't that something that the genapp plugin should provide?

There are already ejb, struts, web, etc templates in the genapp plugin. More
can be added.

Posted by Emmanouil Batsis <ma...@geekologue.com>.
On Thursday 09 June 2005 12:11, Graham King wrote:
>   I don't know if the book will already include this, but I'd love to
> see more Enterprise (big E!) maven tips / recipes / best practices.

... and a template J2EE project. I know there's no template project for
everyone's needs, but a sample EAR project that demonstates the use of
everything J2EE (for starters multiproject and (x|ejb|web|hibernate}doclet)
would save hours of time to many newcomers like me. The same template project
could be updated by the community to cover, well, everything related to a
J2EE project.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Manos

RE: [Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Graham,

You'll certainly see some enterprise maven tips/recipes in the book.
Unfortunately the Developer Notebook format is meant to be small and to the
point and we had to skip some of the content we would have liked to see in a
bigger book.

The build-by-environment strategy is something I have been working on for a
long time with Maven (since 2002 to be precise) and I have done several
presentations on the solution I am using (one project but source the right
properties/config files).

I guess you're right and that's something I could add as a tip on the
mavenbook.org site. Thanks for the idea.

Posted by Graham King <gr...@darkcoding.net>.
Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Tim O'Brien and I have started a web site called http://www.mavenbook.org.

  I don't know if the book will already include this, but I'd love to
see more Enterprise (big E!) maven tips / recipes / best practices.
  For example how do you setup your project when you need to be able to
deploy to a development site, a QA / testing site, and several live
sites. Should it be 3 projects ? Should you have some maven.xml
scripting to source the right properties and do site specific work ? Etc.

  Looking forward to the book.

  Graham.

RE: [Mavenbook.org] What content would you like to see?

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Nicolas,

That will come when we have lots of them. ATM we have published 4 tips only
and are adding one every week (roughly).

> But i don't think that specific
> plugin tips should be here. The better tips is where to find the good
> information source

I do agree that plugin tips should find their way in the plugin
documentation in the end. That said, it can be a 2 step process:
- tips can be given about using a special feature of a plugin
- the information can then be fed in the plugin's documentation

Also, I think that a plugin's tip is good as it'll serve as evangelizing a
specific feature of a plugin that might not have been found otherwise (there
are few people that spend all their time reading all the reference
documentation). So highlighting a special plugin feature is a good thing.

For example, I've just posted tip#4 about adding the download menu on the
generated web site
(http://mavenbook.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Tip4DownloadMenu). I think
it's a useful tip even though it's a plugin tip.

> I have the same point of view as you. More the official maven site IS
> the good place for annoucement. A web page that list the last
> version/annoucement of the plugin could be a good thing in the maven
> site for people that are not on the mailling list.

I have proposed a solution in an email to the maven dev list yesterday
(title: " RE: latest plugin releases on the maven download page "). Here it
is:

"
I think we should do the following:

- Have a CI for the Maven plugins web site so that it is published every few
hours
- If the site build fails, an email is sent to the maven dev mailing list
with the error
- Make sure the multichanges plugin gets built as part of the plugins site
(I've checked and it is actually still there in the report list, so it's
just a matter or running the site build)
- Improve the multichanges plugin to add a RSS feed.
- Advertise it

This will allow people to get a fresh list of the latest version of plugins.
This will allow them to get RSS notifications as soon as a new plugin is
released (and I'll stop what I've started on mavenbook.org, i.e. announcing
plugin releases).

WDYT?
"

[snip]

> A big propaganda page and feed back from compagny/user Things like :
> - how to make my development director choose to use maven.
> - What maven change in my every day job?
> - How to make my developer use maven when they say that there's IDE
> compile there java code and they don't need more?
> - Why maven make that I code better ?
>
> I have some responce of this question that i have used but having some
> other point of view could be a good and interresting thing to read.

Sounds more like a wiki you're asking here, no? I guess this could be an
interesting thing to do on the Maven wiki.

The Mavenbook.org web site is more oriented towards news. For all content
and resources, I believe the main maven web site (or associated wiki) is a
better place.

> If you have write this book like the JUnit one I now this kind of
> information can be found in this one but having them online could be a
> good thing for the communauty

Some of it is there yes, but not that much. It's more a hands-on book (how
to do things rather than why to do them). This is the format of the O'Reilly
Developer Notebook series.

Posted by Nicolas Chalumeau <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vincent

2005/6/7, Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>:
> Hi there,
>
> Tim O'Brien and I have started a web site called http://www.mavenbook.org.

I just take a quick look, it seems (and is) a good idea.

> One of its goal is to advertise the "Maven: A Developer's Notebook" that we
> have written for O'Reilly. However the other goal is to publish other
> information about Maven. ATM we have 3 types of information there:
>
> - News about the book and more generally news about Maven appearances Tim
> and I will be giving. We are happy to broaden this for any presentation that
> anyone may give about Maven. But we'll need your help for this so that we
> know when it happens.
>
> - Tips and tricks about Maven. Tim and I are regularly publishing but again
> if you have a good tip that you'd like to post, contact me and I'll give you
> direct access to the wiki (yes, it's a wiki under the hood. Cool, no? ;-)).

A really good thing but there's must be a good categorisation of the
tips. ie common error, plugin dev tips.But i don't think that specific
plugin tips should be here. The better tips is where to find the good
information source

> - Announcements. Maven releases and Maven plugings announcements
>
> I'm curious to know if you find those 3 categories interesting or not. For
> example, I'm not sure the announcements category is useful. What do you
> think?

I have the same point of view as you. More the official maven site IS
the good place for annoucement. A web page that list the last
version/annoucement of the plugin could be a good thing in the maven
site for people that are not on the mailling list.

> Also are there are any other category of information you'd like to see
> there. The idea is not to duplicate the resources that you see on the main
> maven web site. It's more oriented towards news than towards information or
> resources (this should be added on the main maven site).

A big propaganda page and feed back from compagny/user Things like :
- how to make my development director choose to use maven.
- What maven change in my every day job?
- How to make my developer use maven when they say that there's IDE
compile there java code and they don't need more?
- Why maven make that I code better ?

I have some responce of this question that i have used but having some
other point of view could be a good and interresting thing to read.

If you have write this book like the JUnit one I now this kind of
information can be found in this one but having them online could be a
good thing for the communauty

Nicolas

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Jim,

Yes, I believe this is what we are doing with our "Tips" news.

> I would actually hope that you would forsake documenting 1.x for maven
> 2.0. My reasons really boil down to Maven 1.x feels like a proof of
> concept and Maven 2 has already (in its Alpha version) eliminated almost
> all of the workarounds I had to implement to  make 1.x work on my
> projects. Please take that has kudo's for 2.0 rather than slamming 1.0

Sure but Maven 2.0 is far from being ready to be used on a production
project while Maven 1.x is and is being used by thousands of people. They do
not have the same maturity.

But to reassure you the goal is not to be Maven 1.x centric. It just happens
that Tim and I have 4 years of experience of using Maven 1.x and thus our
tips come from that experience. As we progress in our learning of Maven 2.x,
we'll add tips about Maven 2 too.

I encourage you to help us out and add you m2 tips too! The more the funnier
:-)

[snip]

Thanks for the feedback

Posted by Jim Mochel <jm...@us.ibm.com>.
[...]

[...]