Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2003/11/24 18:33:28 UTC

HEADS UP: (was Re: Gump and SVN: Any takers for candidate project?)

Stefan wrote:

> If you don't find any takers, you can simply set up a mini project of
> your own in minotaur's subversion sandbox[1].

I like this idea. Much better if I practice on me than others:

Ok, I've followed your pointers (thanks, helped a lot) and created a
'testdir' directory under the sandbox, see:
http://cvs.apache.org/repos/test/testdir

I am going to add repository/apache-svn-sandbox.xml and project/svn-test.xml
to point to these.

HEADS UP: In doing so, I am worried I might cause Traditional Gump to
hiccup. I've tried very hard not to change descriptors/XML, and not cause
traditional gump to falter, but I worry that as I do things like this I am
getting closer to causing a problem. I'll try not to, but please let me know
ASAP if I make a mistake.

regards,

Adam

Re: HEADS UP: (was Re: Gump and SVN: Any takers for candidate project?)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@trysybase.com> wrote:
> Stefan responded:
>
>> > Ok, it's in.
>>
>> Haven't seen any commit so far.
>
> Got lost in the gazzillions I do 'cos I can't fully test locally?

I grepped inside the project dir and didn't look into the profile,
sorry.

This is the update.sh snippet you'll get now

test -d svn-test && export CMD="svn update svn-test"
test -d svn-test || export CMD="svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/testdir svn-test"

I think that's OK for now 8-)

Stefan

Re: HEADS UP: (was Re: Gump and SVN: Any takers for candidate project?)

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
Stefan responded:

> > Ok, it's in.
>
> Haven't seen any commit so far.

Got lost in the gazzillions I do 'cos I can't fully test locally? Look at
these:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-gump/repository/apache-svn-sandbox.xml?rev=1.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-gump/profile/gump.xml?rev=1.280&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

I commit them first with a subject of 'Work on SVN'.

and then there is:

http://cvs.apache.org/repos/test/testdir/gump.xml

[Nice how SVN has viewcvs built in.]

> > Here is the rub, though. To try to make SVN handling similar to CVS
> > handling I add a 'dir' attribute onto the SVN entry in the project,
> > so <svn repository='apache-svn-sandbox' dir='testdir' gives:
> >
> >         http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/testdir/
>
> Just tell me how you want the command line to look and I'll take care
> of "traditional Gump".  Don't worry.  It can't be too hard.

Fair enough, thanks.

What I've chosen so far (and I'm avoiding things like username/password *for
now*) are these:

svn [update|checkout {complete url}] [--quiet| |--verbose] --non-interactive
[moduleName]

1) The complete URL is formed by taking the 'url' attribute in the
repository object and concatenating the 'dir' from the <svn object on the
module. [Right now I assume the repository ends with a '/', trying to avoid
getting fancy.]

2) I added --non-interactive, but doubt it is necessary @ this point.

3) If dir != moduleName I add moduleName

Things you don't need to do, but I am:

1) If debug='true' is set on the <svn object (or the <module, or the
<repository) I set --verbose

2) If debug and verbose are NOT set to true on those above I add --quiet.

[BTW: I've started sniffing quiet output for updates to determine the date
of the last change.]

I could see me having to add username/password at some point, but don't have
it now.

I'm hoping to keep things this simple if I can, but we'll see. As soon as I
start getting able to update the documentation online I'll ensure this is
fully documented.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Just go ahead.  I still run "traditional gumps" on my machine (and
> think I'll need to update my svn client to talk to the Apache
> installation), so I can tell you.

Ok, it's in. Yup things oughtn't break to seriously.

Here is the rub, though. To try to make SVN handling similar to CVS handling
I add a 'dir' attribute onto the SVN entry in the project, so <svn
repository='apache-svn-sandbox' dir='testdir' gives:

        http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/testdir/

As I've said, I've tried avoiding making GOM changes so as not to make
traditional Gump stumble, but what about this sub-directory? Without work on
traditional Gump, all SVN projects will certainly fail (and also draw down a
lot of extra stuff from an SVN root.) Also, other attributes could be added,
and I really ought clean-up <cvsweb [the viewcvs link] on <repository since
it isn't a fit for SVN.

I like traditional Gump to exist as a comparison run, but clearly don't want
to force such work, 'cos that is counterproductive to Python Gump taking
over.

Perhaps I need to create a new complete profile (profile/gumpy.xml for want
of a better name) and only do new stuff in there. This would probably work
for new SVN projects, but what about other metadata objects (should the need
arise to tweak them). Any thoughts on all this?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@trysybase.com> wrote:

> HEADS UP: In doing so, I am worried I might cause Traditional Gump
> to hiccup.

Shouldn't happen.

The worst thing we'll see - and we will see it 8-) - is that there is
no svn client installed on the machine running Gump.  I'm pretty sure
there is none on gump.covalent.net yet.

If that happens, the update is going to fail and thus the project is
not going to be built, that's pretty much all.