Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Maurice Lucas <ms...@taos-it.nl> on 2006/07/28 09:22:08 UTC

The way SA checks the URI for domainname.us.tt

Hello,

I submitted wealthpro.us.MUNGED.tt to uribl but he isn't added because
SA will only see us.MUNGED.tt.

I know there are some domains which use a 2 level tld zone. like .co.uk
which will never be included.
Is this not an TLD which has be to changed inside SA to a 2 level tld?

If I check the website at us.MUNGED.tt they use a countrycode.tt

--
With kind regards,

Maurice Lucas
TAOS-IT

Re: The way SA checks the URI for domainname.us.tt

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Maurice Lucas" <ms...@taos-it.nl>

> On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 10:57 -0400, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 09:22:08AM +0200, Maurice Lucas wrote:
>> > I submitted wealthpro.us.MUNGED.tt to uribl but he isn't added because
>> > SA will only see us.MUNGED.tt.
>>
>> I'm not sure why you think that.  us.tt is listed as a two level TLD in
>> SA, so <whatever>.us.tt is what gets used.
>>
> I could have checked that if I did run a debug on that email.
>
> Thank you

Addendum - it appears <ANYTHING>.uk.tt also responds with the same
address. Ditto for es.tt.... Oops!

I did a wget on the address. This is the meat of the message:

>Where do you want to deliver your ad today?

Ohhhh kay - .tt is basically a corrupt top level with most of its
<country-code>.tt domains ALL pointing to "boost Media US". I wonder
how many OTHER TLDs have this generic problem. You made a remarkably
good catch Maurice.

{^_^}

Re: The way SA checks the URI for domainname.us.tt

Posted by Duncan Hill <sa...@nacnud.force9.co.uk>.
On Saturday 29 July 2006 00:33, jdow wrote:
> From: "Theo Van Dinter" <fe...@apache.org>
>
> Quoth Theo:
>
> Why?   us.tt acts as a registrar (www.us.tt -> joynic.com), dolling out
> <anything>.us.tt to others, so we want to be able to deal with that.
> Same as other <country code>.tt 2TLDs.

> Somebody got VERY clever with that joynic pseudo-registrar.

Well, if the us.tt TLD is not an official one from T&T, one might have luck
asking them to revoke us.tt.

Re: The way SA checks the URI for domainname.us.tt

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Theo Van Dinter" <fe...@apache.org>

Quoth Theo:

Why?   us.tt acts as a registrar (www.us.tt -> joynic.com), dolling out
<anything>.us.tt to others, so we want to be able to deal with that.
Same as other <country code>.tt 2TLDs.

Quoth the Trinidad Tobago registrar, ttnic at http://www.nic.tt/ :
===8<--- (Reformatted only.)
Welcome to the Trinidad and Tobago Network Information Centre (TTNIC). The
TTNIC is responsible for the registration of Internet domain names under the
TT (Trinidad and Tobago) Top Level Domain. We do not require applicants to
have a physical presence in Trinidad and Tobago. Registrants must agree to
be bound by all Terms and Conditions, and must accept the Uniform Dispute
Resolution Policy. Registrants can apply for second level domains (e.g.,
companyname.tt) or third level domains within co.tt, com.tt, org.tt, net.tt,
biz.tt, info.tt, pro.tt, int.tt, coop.tt, jobs.tt, mobi.tt, travel.tt,
museum.tt, aero.tt, or name.tt.

gov.tt subdomains are now managed by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago
( TT Government's Web Site )

edu.tt subdomain applications must be submitted at www.edu.tt and are cost
free (with free hosting if needed)
===8<---

Somebody got VERY clever with that joynic pseudo-registrar.

{^_-}

Re: The way SA checks the URI for domainname.us.tt

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 04:08:42PM -0700, jdow wrote:
> And after my playing around with whois one comes to the confusion or
> conclusion that us.it is not a two level domain or else whois is very
> broken. I vote for the former conclusion. If you play with the standard
> spammer trick <anything>.us.it it comes back with the same address.
>
> Methinks I feel a patch coming on if Theo reads this.

Why?   us.tt acts as a registrar (www.us.tt -> joynic.com), dolling out
<anything>.us.tt to others, so we want to be able to deal with that.
Same as other <country code>.tt 2TLDs.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Israel today announced that it is giving up.  The Zionist state will dissolve

Re: The way SA checks the URI for domainname.us.tt

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Maurice Lucas" <ms...@taos-it.nl>

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "jdow" <jd...@earthlink.net>
> From: "Maurice Lucas" <ms...@taos-it.nl>

>>> I'm not sure why you think that.  us.tt is listed as a two level TLD in
>>> SA, so <whatever>.us.tt is what gets used.
>>>
>> I could have checked that if I did run a debug on that email.
>
> Further addendum for Theo. This is the ttnic official list of twofers:
> co.tt, com.tt, org.tt, net.tt, biz.tt, info.tt, pro.tt, int.tt, coop.tt, jobs.tt,
> mobi.tt, travel.tt, museum.tt, aero.tt, or name.tt. All others
> are phake. (phake == fake++)

Correction .gov.tt and .edu.tt are legit and have their own registrar.
nic.tt points to the .tt registrar.

{^_^}

Re: The way SA checks the URI for domainname.us.tt

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Maurice Lucas" <ms...@taos-it.nl>

Posted by Maurice Lucas <ms...@taos-it.nl>.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Yet Another Ninja" <sa...@alexb.ch>

> On 7/28/2006 4:57 PM, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 09:22:08AM +0200, Maurice Lucas wrote:
>>> I submitted wealthpro.us.MUNGED.tt to uribl but he isn't added because
>>> SA will only see us.MUNGED.tt.
>>
>> I'm not sure why you think that.  us.tt is listed as a two level TLD in
>> SA, so <whatever>.us.tt is what gets used.
>>

> In that case the URIBL reviewer who rejected that must be clueless
> <cough,cough>

Maybe not, <cough,cough> may have simply not looked far enough, Alex:
===8<---
[jdow@xxx ~]$ whois wealthpro.us.tt
[Querying http://www.nic.tt/cgi-bin/search.pl]

   Enter Domain Name (exactly and with the .tt extension):
   ____________________    Submit

   The Domain Name wealthpro.us.tt has not yet been Registered
===8<---

nic.tt lies maybe. But then this is us.tt:
===8<---
   Domain Name us.tt
   Registrant Name Juergen Riedel
   Registrant Address Landhausstrasse 110 Stuttgart BW 70190 DE
   DNS Information {ns1.idnscan.net,ns2.idnscan.net,ns3.idnscan.net},
   {62.146.83.82,213.133.115.132,62.146.83.90}
   Expiration Date 01-31-2009
   Last Updated 02-17-2003
   Administrative Contact Juergen Riedel,   info@citymedia.de,   +497112865799,
   (fax) +497112868450
   Technical Contact Juergen Riedel,   info@citymedia.de,   +497112865799,
   (fax) +497112868450
   Billing Contact Juergen Riedel,   info@citymedia.de,   +497112865799, (fax)
   +497112868450
===8<---

So <cough,cough> must have not moved up one to see if us.tt was a
twofer or not. It appears not. It appears to be a single registrant
inside the RIPE block 213.239.203.0/24.

Mr. <cough,cough> simply made an all too easy mistake to make and
presumed anything .tt that looked twofer like was indeed a twofer.

{^_-}

Re: The way SA checks the URI for domainname.us.tt

Posted by Yet Another Ninja <sa...@alexb.ch>.
On 7/28/2006 4:57 PM, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 09:22:08AM +0200, Maurice Lucas wrote:
>> I submitted wealthpro.us.MUNGED.tt to uribl but he isn't added because
>> SA will only see us.MUNGED.tt.
>
> I'm not sure why you think that.  us.tt is listed as a two level TLD in
> SA, so <whatever>.us.tt is what gets used.

In that case the URIBL reviewer who rejected that must be clueless
<cough,cough>

Alex

Re: The way SA checks the URI for domainname.us.tt

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 09:22:08AM +0200, Maurice Lucas wrote:
> I submitted wealthpro.us.MUNGED.tt to uribl but he isn't added because
> SA will only see us.MUNGED.tt.

I'm not sure why you think that.  us.tt is listed as a two level TLD in
SA, so <whatever>.us.tt is what gets used.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
MIPS:
 	Meaningless Indicator of Processor Speed